Essential Functions (Job Duties and Responsibilities):
- Supervises a small group of diverse operational employees, including Control Room Operators, VSS Operators, Contractors, and/or Unjammers
- Ensure quality of operations executed on-site according to contract agreed with the customer(s)
- Manage system issues on-site with the maintenance/operation team and the customer
- Conduct daily meetings with client for the purposes of status reporting as required
- Setup and maintain work schedule to ensure fulfillment of contract deliverables and more.
- Assist the manager by overseeing and managing the maintenance and operations of the Baggage Handling System
- Act as VI representative for operational and safety meetings with the Airport, TSA, and the airlines when needed
- Work closely with VI personnel regarding site related operational issues
- Sets priorities, distributes work, monitors progress and quality
- Ensures all operational activities are executed properly and in time in a large and complex environment
- Implements new procedures and takes care of knowledge transfer
- Initiate and implement process improvements to ensure continuous improvement of the operational performance to the contract.
- Possesses good overview of the work to be done, determines the most efficient and effective working method.
- Anticipates problems, which disturb the daily operation
- Generate daily operational reports and conduct analyses of overall health of the baggage handling system
- Ensures that employees comply with the company rules, standards and key values at VI (acts as a role model)
- Assist the O&M Manager, and Operations Manager in formulating monthly contractual reports
- Acts as a Safety Advocate
- Manages the daily operation, leads and sets direction of the team
- Maintains and enforces policies and procedures including but not limited to: Communication plans, safety plans, contingency plans, attendance, quality control of craftsmanship, inventory management, training requirements, etc.
Required Education and Experience:
- At least 4+years operational experience in all aspects of a complex conveyor system
- Experienced with MS Office
- Experienced with processes and procedures in on-site operational locations, preferably at airports
- Leadership experience, capable of working with teams
- Competent customer oriented professional who can work independently and accurately
- Ability to anticipate customer and team needs and act accordingly
- Willing to work long hours in a stressful environment at nights and on the weekends
- Valid Drivers License
Must be able to attain and sustain an Airport I.D. Badge
- Bachelor’s Degree in Operations or Engineering preferred
- Airport and Warehouse Operations experience
- Conveyor services or material handling services experience
- Team Player
- Strong Verbal and written communication skills
- Working knowledge of computers and equipment
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to Problem Solve
- Ability to build relationships with key players
- Organizational and time management skills
- Capable of analyzing issues and developing solutions
- Strong work ethic, technical affinity, ability to grow and mentor
- Ability to be creative and innovative, and overcome objections and turn them into opportunity
- Confidence and professionalism in representing the Company
- Ability to manage, coach, and guide employees.
- Ability to have crucial conversations
- Ability to build relationships with key players
- Strong Microsoft office skills – Excel, Word Processing and Outlook
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. Schedule is driven by the needs of the operation. May be required to work nights and weekends.
Supervises the BHS Operations Team and manages the client and stakeholders relationship with excellent customer care
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment/physical requirements described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. The Operational Supervisor works in a secured baggage handling area, control room, or airfield. They often must meet strict deadlines to maintain flight schedules.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing all day. The employee at times will lift and/or move items over 25 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is working with and exposed to the baggage handling system, mechanical parts and vibration. The environment can also be loud because of aircraft engines and equipment.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.