Vanderlande’s Engineering Department is responsible for the design, specification and commissioning of material handling systems for our customers. In this position you will work in a multi-disciplinary, collaborative & customer-focused environment to act as an SME for product level compliance with regulatory body standards to support various teams during product design/development, product application reviews and project system design reviews.
Essential Functions (Job Duties and Responsibilities):
- Become intimately familiar with applicable regulatory body standards. Including, but not limited to, ANSI, UL, NFPA, ASME, OSHA, etc.
- Become intimately familiar with the electromechanical and, to a lesser extent, mechanical operation of Vanderlande equipment.
- Become familiar with major Warehouse Solutions key accounts and their differing requirements for equipment and equipment application.
- Support Project Engineering to resolve product compliance issues.
- Provide R&D teams with relevant product compliance information as an input to product developments and/or revisions.
- Support the Vanderlande HSE team with product compliance information and interpretation.
- Identify regulatory bodies and standards that Vanderlande equipment must comply with.
- Manage subscriptions, licenses and access to regulatory body standards. This includes periodic review of subscriptions and licenses to identify cost reduction opportunities.
- Ensure latest revision of all applicable standards are identified and obtained.
- Read and interpret standards to be able to answer product compliance questions and defend compliant product designs if challenged.
- Perform product compliance design reviews and create/update gap analysis to provide direction to R&D.
- Create product compliance documentation including, but not limited to: HSRA, product development guides, test & evaluation procedures, etc.
- Attend product development/design reviews to provide product compliance support.
- Identify & maintain tools and equipment required for compliance testing & evaluation including, but not limited to, calibration, maintenance & upkeep, usage logging, etc.
- Attend regulatory body meetings to formulate new standards and/or maintain existing standards to represent Vanderlande.
Required Education and Experience:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, electrical engineering technology, mechatronics or equivalent.
- 5+ years of experience in electrical product design, inspection, electrical project engineering or systems engineering and/or product level HSE or compliance roles in the material handling or related industry.
- In-depth understand of material handling system (specifically conveyor system) design and operation.
- Understanding of industrial electrical wiring codes, concepts and practices.
- Understanding of OSHA requirements.
- Understanding of CE standards, machinery directive & compliance environment
- Understanding of industrial electrical system design & operation
- Understanding of industrial electrical component functionality & selection criteria
- Motors, VFDs, circuit breakers, power supplies, switches, sensors, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written skills
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Rapidly adapts to changes and is solution oriented
- Capable of effective time management & scheduling
- Understand privacy rules and follows protocol
- Being professional and courteous in all verbal and written communications with co-workers, vendors, superiors and customers
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Knowledge of SolidWorks and AutoCAD
- Knowledge of the metric and imperial measurement systems
- Knowledge of reading & understanding technical drawings and electrical schematics
- Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, statistics, and their applications.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position, Monday through Friday, flex hours are available. Work can start anytime between 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. and end between 4:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. with a required 1 hour lunch break.
This position requires up to 30% travel, including international.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment/physical requirements described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Lift 25 pounds occasionally.
- Climb and walk on catwalk, ladders, stairs, etc.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vibration. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to do the following:
- To talk and hear.
- Sit or stand in front of a computer in a stationary position for majority of the work-day.
- Standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing during site visits.
- Occasionally move about inside the office to access office machinery (printers, etc.)
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vanderlande is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.