The controls engineers are responsible for designing, programming, commissioning and testing of the Material Handling Systems that we are supplying. The controls engineers work closely together with the Project Manager, Project Lead and with the mechanical and hardware engineers during the execution process. The controls engineer reports to the Manager Engineering.
Essential Functions (Job Duties and Responsibilities):
- Execute Material Handling Projects from initial concept through successful customer turnover.
- Support all aspects of machine control system execution, including: initial system design, PLC software design, network design, SCADA/HMI design, implementation, commissioning, and start-up support.
- Know, interpret and apply procedures, standards and regulations.
- Write Controls Functional Specification / Description of Operation.
- Write Detailed Design documents (i.e. Controls Architecture).
- Write, debug, and test PLC and HMI code.
- Write and execute test plans (FAT, SAT, load, rate, system test).
- Work closely with clients and subcontractors.
- Communicate and work closely with other groups within VI and project team (i.e., electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, project management, supply chain, sales/proposal department and installation).
- Support Sales Department with quotation bids on new projects and/or on project changes
- Initiate improvement actions
- Leverage software standardization platform
- This position requires occasional on-call after-hours support
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer / Electrical / Software Engineering or equivalent
- Knowledge and experience with PLC applications (Allen-Bradley preferred)
- Knowledge and experience with HMI/SCADA (Ignition, Wonderware, Indusoft, FactoryTalk View, WinCC, or WEBfactory) is an advantage
- Knowledgeable of electrical and controls engineering theories and principles
- Electrical aptitude and knowledge of acceptable practices, techniques, and codes
- Skilled in understanding and designing Engineering science: Logic and Programming
- Result driven attitude from a realistic perspective
- Ability to judge results and the consequences and take actions accordingly
- Team player with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong team mentality and acceptance of responsibility for project completion
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written skills
- Self-motivated with proven ability in problem solving skills under stressful conditions
- Ability to work well with team members
- Quality driven mentality
- Interpret and knowing of procedures and regulations
- High level of ownership and pride in ones work
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m.
This position requires up to 30-40% travel.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing all day. The employee must frequently lift and/or move items over 75 pounds.)
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.