As a subsidiary of Toyota Industries (TICO), Vanderlande North America is enjoying rapid growth and extraordinary market demand. Vanderlande is a global market leader in material handling system manufacturing, design, installation, and service. Vanderlande systems employ the latest in robotic, mechanical, and software technology. Vanderlande’s customers are household names in e-commerce, package delivery, and air transportation.
We are currently looking for a Senior Controls Engineering Project Leader that will support the North America Parcel Solutions team.
Vanderlande’s Parcel Engineering Team is responsible for the concepting, designing, and specifying material handling equipment. In this position you will work in a multi-disciplinary, collaborative customer-focused environment to determine and translate customer needs into simple and effective design solutions. You will be responsible to ensure the engineering project deliverables are of high quality, create and monitor engineering schedules, and own the technical solution.
Success in this role involves the ability to balance the technical requirements of the role while also having the soft skills to collaborate with and motivate the engineering team. It also involves working closely with stakeholders from other disciplines and other departments to balance priorities, improve processes and satisfy a complex set of goals. Success will require strong technical skills, creativity, strong interpersonal skills, drive, and passion. A successfully candidate will demonstrate a keen intuition for when to attempt to solve problems on their own and when to enlist the help of other experienced leaders.
Vanderlande offers competitive salary, generous benefits, flexible working hours and ability to work from home (when possible), brand new modern workspaces with state of the art amenities such as employee gym, on campus cafeteria, and coffee bar and a genuine focus on people and culture.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (Job Duties and Responsibilities):
- Execute projects from conception through client handover with a concentration on the system technical performance, financial results, and engineering performance.
- Responsible for overseeing the system electrical architecture, electrical panel design, system and network design, software development (PLC and/or PC related systems), integration of different components, system commissioning and testing through to final handover to the customer.
- Accountable for the system functionality and the technical quality of the material handling system.
- Develop engineering project plans and schedule of the project team with responsibility for the team’s progress.
- Coordinate activities of engineering project team in close cooperation with the Project Manager, including subcontractors when part of the engineering team.
- Work closely with clients and subcontractors and the Mechanical Project Leader.
- Document functional system specifications, interface specifications and (high level) test plans (FAT, SAT, CAT), including validation.
- Responsible for all information during the project, including complete project archiving.
- Manage requirements, integration, configuration, and software changes throughout the projects.
- Create and/or oversee user manuals, documentation, training, and project evaluations.
- Report project progress and status to the Project Manager and Engineering Manager (Project Status Report including risks and opportunities).
- Monitor and control project budget.
- Understand, interpret, and follow procedures, standards, and regulations.
- Execute the health and safety analysis and be responsible for the safety coordination during the engineering phase.
- Work on quotation bids with the systems and sales department on new projects and/or on project changes.
- Communicate and work closely with other groups within Vanderlande and the project team (i.e., mechanical engineering, project management, supply chain, sales/proposal department and installation).
- Identify, initiate, and implement improvement activities.
- Drive, support, promote, and improve (software) standardization platforms.
- Advise the Engineering Manager of needed improvements for project execution and proposing technical solutions for complex and multidisciplinary problems.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering or equivalent
- Minimum 11 years of experience in implementing and managing highly complex and large scale projects
- Project management experience
- Experience with integration and configuration management
- Willing and able to travel up to 50%
- Experience utilizing MS project, Primavera, or other scheduling software
- Knowledge of (controls) engineering theories and principles
- Past experience directly managing people
KNOWLEDGE – SKILLS – ABILITY:
- Technical knowledge/background in material handling processes
- In depth knowledge of test approaches (V model and software testing)
- Proactive and hands on work ethic
- Self-motivated with proven ability in problem solving, especially in intense situations
- Pragmatic and capable to balance quality, lead time, costs, and technology
- Ability to lead a specialized team responsible for complex project(s)
- Motivator and trainer for coworkers
Vanderlande is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.