Vanderlande’s Controls Engineering Department is responsible for the designing, programming, commissioning, and testing of material handling systems for our customers. In this position you will be responsible for executing the design of both small- and large-scale material handling system solutions. The Controls Project Engineer works closely with the Sr. Controls Project Engineer, Electrical Project Lead, Team’s Project Manager, subcontractors and Mechanical engineers involved throughout the life of the project.
- Execute projects from with a positive result contribution on technical performance and financial results.
- Assists Sr. Controls Project Engineers in the execution of complex, small/medium/large, and unique projects.
- Monitor internal quality of Controls deliverables to ensure high first pass yield.
- Realization of controls applications and subsystems based on user requirements and functional specification(s).
- Learn, interpret, and apply procedures, standards, and regulations.
- Support, promote, and improve software standardization platform.
- Select (partial) solutions from standardized solutions and re-used standard modules under direction of lead engineer(s)..
- Write, debug, and test PLC and HMI code under direction of lead engineer(s).
- Write Controls Functional Specification / Description of Operations under direction of lead engineer(s).
- Write detailed design documents (i.e. Controls Architecture) under direction of lead engineer(s).
- Write and execute test plans (FAT, SAT, load, rate, system tests) under direction of lead engineer(s).
- Develop in all aspects of managing the control systems execution, from software design, system design, network design, and commissioning.
- Communicate closely with other groups within VI and the project team (i.e. Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Project Management, Supply Chain, Sales/Proposal Engineering, and Installation).
- Support continuous improvement actions to elevate the experience of other Controls Project Engineers.
- Ability to quickly assess a situation and take appropriate action.
- Proactive, result driven, and hands on work ethic with a focus on quality.
- Strong team-oriented mentality and acceptance of responsibility for project completion.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written skills.
- Self-motivated with ability in problem solving & troubleshooting.
- Ability to work well with team members.
- Understanding of Electrical & Controls Engineering theories and principles.
- Electrical aptitude and knowledge of acceptable practices, techniques, and codes.
- Logical mentality
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical/Computer/Software Engineering or Equivalent or 1 year of experience in implementation of material handling systems or industrial controls systems or 1 years of experience in PLC applications (Allen-Bradley Preferred).
- Must be willing and able to travel 50% routinely, with increased amounts if projects demand.
- This position may require occasional on-call after-hours support.
- Experience with computer-based drafting/design; Auto CAD.
- Communication and networking (i.e. ASibus, Ethernet, TCP/IP, Controlnet).
- HMI/SCADA experience (Panelview, Ignition preferred).
- Ability to read structured text, write preferred.
- Experience working for/with Amazon.
Vanderlande is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.