The Controls Project Engineer is responsible for ensuring the software controls site project plan is executed according to scheduling and phasing. This includes system start-up coordination as well as commissioning and test coordination. This role provides interface and coordination with our customer(s) and subcontractors to resolve issues and problems to the satisfaction of the company/customer. Other responsibilities include site progress monitoring, daily PLC/HMI progress, and contribution to the team with regard to risk analysis and contingency management. This role is based in Vancouver.
Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Managing the control systems execution, which includes hardware/system/network design, software development (PLC and HMI), electrical installation and system commissioning.
- Execute projects from concept through completion with a positive result on technical performance, financial results and the organization.
- Involvement in project planning of controls project team, project specifications (i.e., functional, design, etc.), engineering, execution and commissioning of Material Handling Projects (specifically Baggage Handling Systems).
- Work closely with clients and subcontractors and communicate closely with other groups within VI and project team (i.e., mechanical engineering, project management and installation).
- Work on quotation bids with the systems and sales department on new projects and/or on project changes.
- Ensuring the commissioning activities of the project are executed according to scheduling and phasing.
- Coordination and execution of the project in cooperation with the engineering team based in the US, Vancouver or Netherlands and under a Project Manager, Engineering Management.
- Day to day site commissioning activities (assist in recruitment and training of personnel, planning and performance measurement).
- Coordination with the suppliers involved in the project.
- Provide operating supervision and coordination during commissioning.
- Engineering degree, preferably in Electrical, Mechanical (Mechatronics Option) or Computer Engineering.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in commissioning complex PLC controlled systems including troubleshooting Siemens PLC’s. Experience with Vanderlande Industries design a plus.
- Experience implementing/commissioning PLC controlled systems. Proven ability in understanding and designing PLC programs.
- Exceptional organizational skills and a track record of working effectively in a team environment.
- Demonstrated familiarity working with consultants and contractors within the Construction industry.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English as well as proven success presenting ideas to vendors, associates, and customers.
- Ability to travel is necessary plus ability to work irregular hours as required. Travel is up to 50% of the year.
- A can-do attitude, self-starter and ability to thrive in a multi-cultural team.
- A self-confident team player who is comfortable dealing with people at all levels in an organization and who is able to cross corporate boundaries. Capable of operating in an environment containing ambiguity and uncertainty.
- Must be able to obtain an airport clearance.
- A professional demeanor, diplomacy and the ability to exercise sound judgment.
- Strong conceptual, analytical and problem solving skills.
Good to have:
- Programming and commissioning using Allen Bradley PLCs
- Experience in SCADA design using WinCC