Vanderlande’s Engineering Department is responsible for the design, specification and commissioning of Material Handling Systems for our customers. The Controls Project Lead is responsible for the translation and optimization of functionality sold to a working mechanical design within the budget in consultation with other disciplines. The projects are material handling systems at airports (BHS– Baggage Handling systems), Warehouses, and Parcel & Postal (WPP–systems) in the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
Responsibilities & Tasks:
• Execute projects from conception through client handover with a positive result contribution on technical performance, financial results and the organization.
• Execute the system design from mechanical, hardware, system and network design, software development (PLC and/or PC related systems), electrical installation, integration of different components, system commissioning and testing through to final handover to the customer
• Responsible for the system functionality and the technical quality of the material handling system.
• Develop engineering project plans and schedule of the project team and responsible for the progress.
• Coordinate activities of engineering project team in close cooperation with the Project Manager,
including subcontractors when part of the engineering team.
• Work closely with clients and subcontractors and with other Project Leaders (for example for loop
sorters or HLC SW).
• Document functional system specifications, interface specifications and (high level) test plans (FAT, SAT, CAT), including validation.
• Responsible for all information during the project, including complete project archiving.
• Manage requirements, integration, configuration, and software changes throughout the projects.
• Create and/or oversee user manuals, documentation, training, and project evaluations.
• Report project progress and status to the Project Manager and Engineering Manager (Project Status
Report including risks and opportunities).
• Monitor and control project budget.
• Understand, interpret, and follow procedures, standards, and regulations.
• Execute the health and safety analysis and be responsible for the safety coordination during the
• Work on quotation bids with the systems and sales department on new projects and/or on project changes.
• Communicate and work closely with other groups within Vanderlande and the project team (i.e., mechanical engineering, project management, supply chain, sales/proposal department and installation).
• Identify, initiate, and implement improvement activities.
• Drive, support, promote, and improve (software) standardization platforms.
• Advise the Engineering Manager of needed improvements for project execution and proposing
technical solutions for complex and multidisciplinary problems.
• Bachelors Degree in Engineering or equivalent
• Minimum 10 years of experience in implementing and managing highly complex and large scale
material handling systems
• Project management experience
• Experience with integration and configuration management
• Willing and able to travel up to 50%
• Experience utilizing MS project, Primavera, or other scheduling software
• Knowledge of (controls) engineering theories and principles
• Technical knowledge/background in material handling processes
• In depth knowledge of test approaches (V model and software testing)
• Proactive and hands on work ethic
• Self–motivated with proven ability in problem solving, especially in intense situations
• Pragmatic and capable to balance quality, lead time, costs, and technology
• Ability to lead a specialized team responsible for complex project(s)
• Motivator and trainer for coworkers
Vanderlande is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.