Vanderlande’s Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) Team is responsible for the safety, health, and regulatory compliance of installation project execution of Material Handling Systems, Airports, Warehouse Automation and Parcel Sortation systems and for the operation and maintenance of these systems for our customers throughout North America. The HSE Team has employees at the customer center headquarters, supply chain, and operations at key accounts and active projects in the United States and Canada.
The Team has experienced increased product safety documentation requirements and an increased need for control safety and overall interaction between the engineering groups and the HSE Team. Additionally, the aspects of the Vanderlande Process Map have specific HSE requirements that require coordination between HSE, engineering, and project management.
In this position, you will be working with the HSE professionals, engineering professionals, and the project teams to manage the safety and compliance for the design of baggage handling, automation or parcel sortation systems. You will be responsible for the overall management of the HSE process for each project Define-Total Solution Phase. You will manage the HSE deliverables for multiple projects simultaneously and will be proactive in in providing solutions to challenges in the process.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Participate in system design and analysis of new material handling systems. Oversee and integrate safety into the design processes of these new systems
- Provide process support for health and safety processes such as risk assessments, failure modes effects analyses, functional safety documentation and analysis
- Ensure coordination of resources necessary to successfully implement the design of projects and ensure that all safety deliverables are ready for any customer certifications or submittals
- Promote Safe Base as a core value, ensure compliance with all pertinent ISO, ANSI and other regulations and standards for the design of material handling equipment
- Monitor, review and report monthly project safety, process, and design deliverables
- Provide direction and support related to underperforming and not-compliant projects, to achieve performance targets
- Build and maintain relationships with key internal and external customers
- Provide leadership and open communication in maintaining strong internal and external customer relationships and in resolving issues and disputes
- Serve as a proactive leader and problem solver, coaching and mentoring all concerning design safety and process compliance
- Promote effective, efficient, and cooperative coordination among Operations, HSE, Engineering, and other departments
Required Qualifications, Education and Experience:
- BS Degree – Engineering, Occupational Health and Safety or related fields
- Must have good knowledge of design and control safety principles for the US and the EU
- Prefer a minimum 10 years’ safety-related experience for design safety
- ISO13849-1 knowledge-principles for the design and integration of safety-related parts of control systems
- IEC61508 knowledge- apply, design, deploy and maintain safety-related control systems
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent grammar and writing skills
- Ability to lead or coordinate with others effectively depending upon the situation
- Communication and interpersonal skills to effectively manage processes and communicate objectives and action plans
- Proficient use of computer and corresponding programs – Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Ability to establish positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Experience in Design Safety/Product Liability reviews
- Experience with R15.06, Industrial Robots and Robot Systems – Safety Requirements
- Experience with 1910.147, The control of hazardous energy
- Experience with RIA TR R15.306 ("TR 306"), Task-Based Risk Assessment Methodology
- Describes one method of risk assessment that would comply with the R15.06 requirements
- Experience with ANSI B11.19 Performance Requirements For Risk Reduction Measures: Safeguarding And Other Means Of Reducing Risk
This is a full-time, benefit eligible position.
This position requires up to 25% travel.
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- The work environment/physical requirements described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job when on project sites
- Uneven and broken ground
- Need to comply with all required PPE, including any health or pandemic-related requirements
- Use of ladders and stairwells
- Ability to inspect a large construction/installation project on several floors
- Use of fall-protection equipment
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.