Job Description Summary
Vanderlande is the global market leader in baggage handling systems for airports, and sorting systems for parcel. The company is also a leading supplier of warehouse automation solutions. Established in 1949, Vanderlande has over 6,500 employees, all committed to moving its customers’ businesses forward at diverse locations on every continent.
As an Electrical Controls Support Engineer, you will be part of the North American PAX Operations and Maintenance Services team (NA PAX O&M Services team). In this position you will be responsible for providing support on our control panels and field wiring of our Airport Passenger Checkpoint Automated Screening Lane solution. As an Electrical Controls Support Engineer you will work closely with the maintenance teams, installation engineers, commissioning engineers, and controls project engineers involved with our automated screening lane.
- Independently acts as technical expert within service team of electrical field wiring and controls on automated screening lanes.
- Responsible for execution of knowledge development and department expertise of controls and electrical troubleshooting within service team.
- Keeps track of new technologies, tools and required skills related to controls and electrical troubleshooting for the service team.
- Advises manager on technical development of engineers. Tracks and coordinates knowledge management progress for the field engineers with competency of electrical troubleshooting.
- Assists installation engineers with installation and commissioning of field wiring and control panel on automated screening lanes.
- Describes and updates standard work instructions, service manuals and troubleshooting guides
- Acts as a lookout for new technologies and advises on selecting, developing and implementing required tooling
- Work with Field Service Engineers in incident- management for Automated Screening Lanes
- Travel to site to troubleshoot complex electrical and PLC related issues
- Support of Low-Level-Controls systems, and PLC issues raised by customers
- Diagnose, and rectify Low-Level-Controls and PLC faults within tight deadlines
- Perform PLC checks, modifications and updates as needed
- Able to calculate and describe the entire electromechanical installation (panels / field wiring / components) and functionality within material handling solution
- Experience troubleshooting UL rated cabinets and enclosures to accommodate PLC controlled systems, including power distribution, motor protection and control, and Industrial Communication and networking including ASibus, Ethernet, TCP/IP, or Controlnet.
- Experience troubleshooting cabinets involving multiple hardware platforms for industrial control applications. Experience with Siemens PLC is preferred. Experience with Allen Bradley/Rockwell, Schneider will be considered
- Experience in Siemens TIA Portal PLC software
- Ability to quickly assess a situation and take appropriate action
- Proactive and hands on work ethic
- Strong team-oriented mentality and acceptance of responsibility for being team expert
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written skills
- Self-motivated with proven ability in problem solving, especially in intense situations
- Motivator and instructor for coworkers
- Knowledge of controls engineering theories and principles.
- Electrical aptitude and knowledge of acceptable practices, techniques, and codes.
- Associate's or Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technology.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in implementation of material handling systems or industrial controls systems.
- Working knowledge of US National Electrical Code (NEC/NFPA 70).
- Must be willing and able to travel 30% routinely, with increased amounts if customer support demands.
- Qualified to receive TSA SIDA security clearance badging
- Qualified to pass government background check administered by Leidos Inc and Law Enforcement/Federal Air Marshall Service’s, Personnel Security Section (PerSec).
- Direct experience designing UL rated cabinets and enclosures to accommodate PLC controlled systems, including power distribution, motor protection and control, and Industrial Communication and networking including ASibus, Ethernet, TCP/IP, Controlnet.
- Experience designing cabinets involving multiple hardware platforms for industrial control applications. Experience with Siemens PLC is preferred. Experience with Allen Bradley/Rockwell, Schneider will be considered
- Design experience using AutoCAD. Experience with AutoCAD Electrical, including BOM features.
Boston, Charlotte, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Orlando or Seattle
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time salaried exempt position
This position has no supervisory responsibilities
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment/physical requirements described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Lifts 50 pounds frequently, and up To 75 pounds occasionally. Carries 25 pounds frequently, and up to 50 pounds occasionally. While
performing the duties of this job, the employee is typically working in an airport security checkpoint and is exposed to airborne dust particles, passenger belongings/trash, moving mechanical parts, electrical shock hazards, sharp metal edges, vibration, mechanical solvents, lubrications, and cleaning liquids. Noise level is generally moderate, but with an occasional loud environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing all day.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.