Vanderlande’s Site Management Department is responsible for the Installation and project execution of Material Handling Systems, Warehouse Automation and Parcel Sortation systems for our customers throughout North America. The increasing number of new projects and their geographical spread means the team is growing and expanding. You will report hierarchically to the Electrical installations manager, and daily to the Site Manager. In this position, you will be working within a Site Management project team to manage the installation of automation or parcel sortation system. You will be responsible for overseeing an installation crew working on a section of the project, ensuring the installation is performed safely while maintaining compliance with quality standards, project specifications and technical requirements. You will provide detailed instructions to the crew members based on engineering drawings and resolve or escalate any discrepancies in the customer standards, provided drawings or other information. This role is 100% travel it is expected to work 55 to 60 hours per week with overtime after 40 hours worked
- Responsible for safe installations, alterations, additions, and/or repairs of electrical systems, associated materials, and equipment within the material handling industry.
- Directly responsible for leading and managing crews of up to 15 individuals and contractors that could consist of lead persons/crew leaders, journeymen, apprentices, and/or helpers. .
- Engage in an active role with onsite vendors to supplement the electrical installation.
- Coordinate with Electrical Supervisor to lay out project work and ensure that materials, tools, equipment, etc. are scheduled in a timely manner to meet scope, budget and project construction schedules.
- Coordinate with the Electrical Supervisor and customer to lay out locations of electrical equipment and devices.
- Route, size and install conduit, cable tray, wireways, boxes and other forms of electrical containment to properly accommodate equipment detailed in engineering drawings.
- Ensure that all wires and cables are installed, labeled and connected as detailed in engineering drawings and schematics.
- Perform I/O checkout of completed system insuring it matches the engineering drawings and documenting any changes.
- Ensure that all industrial networking is installed and tested as detailed in the engineering drawings
- Work with Electrical Supervisors and other Lead installers to find innovations and improvements to improve efficiency.
- Accountable for the on-site supervision of assigned electrical installers in such a way as to ensure scheduled completion of projects within established budget, time frame, quality and performance standards. Ability to evaluate progress against goals.
- Assist the electrical supervisor in reviewing project documents, plans and specifications, directing installation activities, resolving construction difficulties, coordinating field installations, project close-outs, and developing and/or maintaining customer/client relationships.
- Complete assigned tasks within standard operating procedures, project costs, time constraints, and quality standards.
- Assist with routine equipment trial runs to ensure that it meets specifications and ensure equipment is installed to Vanderlande and/or client standards.
- Provide additional assistance with training of subcontractors in the installation of Vanderlande and other equipment
- Maintain a high degree of safety awareness and a rigorous standard of personal and site safety
- Setup and maintain temporary power systems in a safe operating condition
Required Qualifications, Education and Experience:
- Ability to travel on short notice and spend up to 100% of the time traveling (Vanderlande offers opportunity to go home monthly or more.)
- Must be willing to be on call and travel on short notice
- Willingness to work weekends, holidays and off-shifts
- Knowledge of conduit and containment routing and the ability to train others
- Ability to read, understand, red line, and challenge electrical layout drawings, standards and schematics
- Ability to troubleshoot complex control and motor wiring circuit problems
- Ability to act calmly in stressful situations Ability to write concise, clear, and complete trip reports in the time frame required according to Vanderlande procedures
- Understanding personal computer hardware setup and software configuration
- General proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to exhibit leadership by example
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Journeyman and/or Master Electrician License
- 3-5 years material handling or automation industry experience
- 1 year experience installing and bending EMT or Rigid conduit
- 5 or more years’ experience troubleshooting electro-mechanical equipment
- Working experience with material handling equipment
- Experience with AGVS, AS/RS, or conveyors
- Knowledge in the use of personal computers, data base functions and communications
- OSHA 10 or 30 training
- Detailed knowledge and experience in a technical or specialty area
This is a full-time, benefit eligible position
This position requires up to 100% travel
This position has supervisory responsibilities
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment/physical requirements described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job
· Substantial to extensive amounts of standing, walking, bending, squatting, sitting and lifting
· Will talk and hear to communicate
· Will use arms and hands to signal, grab, hold, turn, push, and pull objects, materials, controls and tools
· May require picking up, lifting, carrying and moving up to 50lbs
· Will work at heights, climb ladders and stairways, and may occasionally work from platforms/scaffolding using the appropriate fall protection requirements.
· Working in all weather conditions (including heat, rain, cold and wind) while wearing appropriate PPE
- frequent exposure to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration and high noise levels
- Wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) including but not limited to hard hat, safety glasses/spoggles, ear plugs, masks/respirators, hi-vis safety vests, leather gloves and leather steel-toed work boots
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.