Vanderlande’s Engineering Department is responsible for the design, specification and commissioning of material handling systems for our customers. In this position you will be responsible for executing the design of the control panels and field wiring for the material handling system solution. The Electrical Project Engineer works closely with the Sr. Electrical Project Engineer, Controls Project Lead, Team’s Project Manager, subcontractors and Mechanical engineers involved throughout the life of the project.
- Independently owns electrical engineering of projects of moderate size, complexity and uniqueness.
- Assists Sr. Electrical Project Engineers in the execution of more complex, large and unique projects.
- Lead other junior electrical project engineers and hardware engineers in the execution of project deliverables.
- Monitor internal quality of electrical deliverables produced using drawing redlines, checklists, review meetings as needed to ensure first time right output.
- Calculate and describe the entire electromechanical installation (panels / field wiring / components) and functionality, in close cooperation with the Sr. Electrical Project Engineer, Controls Project Leader and PLC engineers.
- Select standardized solutions from previously successful designs and re-uses standard company modules when possible for effective and economic results.
- Propose original solutions from design requirements that are customized to meet project goals.
- Make detail design of the electromechanical installation and coordinate the work for realization and installation by subcontractors. Safeguards quality.
- Make (electromechanical) project documentation and technical project specifications for Controls Hardware suppliers, subcontractors and suppliers of resale equipment. Monitor the uniformity.
- Assists with the definition of scope of work and reviews deliverables when working with third party subcontractors for external development of hardware designs.
- Understand, interpret and apply procedures, standards and regulations on National and Local code level for the US.
- Able to learn code requirements for Canada and Mexico as needed or work under the direction of Sr. Electrical Project Engineers with familiarity of those alternate codes.
- Make field wiring test plans for controls hardware installation.
- Review existing hardware designs used in other parts of the company for compliance with local code requirements as needed.
- Report progress (hours, costs) of supervised electrical engineering effort to the Sr. Electrical Project Engineer, Controls Project Leader and Engineering Manager.
- Support of the site team, electrical supervisor, and PLC Engineer to minimize potential problems.
- Work closely with clients and subcontractors to resolve questions and problems throughout project life cycle.
- Communicate and work closely with other groups within Vanderlande and the project team (i.e., mechanical engineering, project management, supply chain, sales/proposal department and installation).
- Assist as a subject matter expert on quotation bids with the systems and sales department on new projects and/or on project changes.
- Initiate improvement actions to elevate the experience of other electrical project engineers and hardware engineers.
- Drive, support, promote and improve hardware standardization platform.
- Ability to quickly assess a situation and take appropriate action
- Proactive and hands on work ethic
- Strong team-oriented mentality and acceptance of responsibility for project completion
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written skills
- Self-motivated with proven ability in problem solving, especially in intense situations
- Motivator for coworkers
- Knowledge of controls engineering theories and principles.
- Electrical aptitude and knowledge of acceptable practices, techniques, and codes.
- Associate's or Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technology.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in implementation of material handling systems or industrial controls systems.
- Working knowledge of US National Electrical Code (NEC/NFPA 70).
- Design experience using AutoCAD.
- Must be willing and able to travel 10% routinely, with increased amounts if projects demand.
- Direct experience designing UL rated cabinets and enclosures to accommodate PLC controlled systems, including power distribution, motor protection and control, and Industrial Communication and networking (i.e. ASibus, Ethernet, TCP/IP, Controlnet).
- Experience designing cabinets involving multiple hardware platforms for industrial control applications, including A-B/Rockwell, Siemens, Schneider, SEW
- Experience with AutoCAD Electrical, including BOM features.