As a subsidiary of Toyota Industries (TICO), Vanderlande North America is enjoying rapid growth and extraordinary market demand. Vanderlande is a global market leader in material handling system manufacturing, design, installation, and service. Vanderlande systems employ the latest in robotic, mechanical, and software technology. Our customers are household names in e-commerce, package delivery, and air transportation.
We are currently looking for an Engineering Manager that will support the North America Parcel Solutions team.
The Engineering Project Manager is responsible for managing a team of approximately 10-15 controls engineers as they design, program, test, and commission complex material handling projects in North America. They will be able to empower their team to innovate and challenge the status quo. They will routinely provide specific actionable feedback to encourage professional development of the team.
- Direct line manager of a team of Control Project Engineers.
- Build a high-performing team of leaders.
- Create succession plans for all key roles.
- Monitor and mitigate risks within the team and within projects.
- Steer the team and projects toward standardization, process adherence and process optimization.
- Ensuring all deliverables from the Control Project Engineers are of the highest quality and that the team follows best practices in project execution.
- Drive quality through key metrics that are shared and owned by the team.
- Ensure engineering project work is tracked in such a way that progress is easily visible and potential schedule issues are known early such that they can be recovered or mitigated.
- Work with other engineering leaders in NA to share and develop best practices which will deliver continuous improvements in execution. Drive improvements through the capture of lessons on projects.
- Work closely with the Project Lead Engineers to ensure projects are resourced correctly and executed in line with agreed processes and to needed timelines and quality level.
- Work with the Sales Engineering Team to support the creation of proposals, Hours needed, and project schedules during the quotation phase.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or equivalent
- Minimum 7 years of experience in implementing and managing highly complex and large-scale projects
- Minimum 7 years of experience managing engineering teams
- Project management experience
- Experience budgeting and tracking all engineering activities on multiple projects
- Able to clearly and accurately communicate status and progress to all key stakeholders
- Leadership in technical, high skilled environments (combining hardware and software)
- Willing and able to travel up to 20%
- Experience utilizing MS project, Primavera, or other scheduling software
- Knowledge of controls engineering theories and principles
- Deep knowledge of Allen-Bradley PLCs and VFDs
- Experience developing PLC code.
- Ability to manage conflicts of interest in a constructive way.
- Technical knowledge/background in material handling processes.
- Ability to quickly assess a situation and take appropriate action.
- Proactive and hands on work ethic
- Self-motivated with proven ability in problem solving, especially in intense situations
- Pragmatic and capable to balance quality, lead time, costs, and technology
- Ability to lead a specialized team responsible for complex projects
- Motivator and trainer for employees
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written skills
- Control aptitude and knowledge of acceptable practices, techniques, and codes.
Vanderlande is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.