TITLE: FMC Operator II (Laser)
REPORTS TO (POSITION): Production Manager
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt
DATE: May 2021
The FMC Operator II is responsible for making the FMC machines production-ready, setting them up, operating them and making corrections to the settings. Manufactures single and/or multiple products from ferrous and non-ferrous materials by applying separating techniques. Works in accordance with work orders and technical information issued. He is responsible for loading raw materials and additives for these machines and maintaining them at the right level, and removing products and residue materials.
This position reports to the Production Manager
Essential Functions (Job Duties and Responsibilities):
- Analyzes job orders, drawings, blueprints, specifications and design data in order to calculate dimensions, tool selection, machine speeds and feed rates.
- Ensures sheet optimization, market triggers and nesting on a daily basis to meet production goals.
- Compares computer printouts with original part specifications and blueprints to verify accuracy of instructions.
- Perform or direct revision, repair or expansion of existing programs to increase operating efficiency or adapt to new requirements.
- Consults with managerial, engineering and other technical personnel to clarify program intent, identify problems and suggest changes.
- Determines the sequence of machine operations and select the proper cutting tools needed to machine work pieces into the desired shapes.
- Observe machines on trial runs or conduct computer simulations to ensure that programs and machinery will function properly and produce items that meet specifications.
- Checks the quality of the products visually at different times and monitors the progress of the machining process.
- Works on a series of products at the same time.
- After attaching identification labels/markings to the products and checking the quantities, transfers them to the correct drop zone.
- Performs daily maintenance tasks for the machine under supervision.
- Makes machines production-ready – Imports programs (nesting). checks parameter settings, loads and unloads machines, Visually checks products, Checks produced quantities, Maintains machines and tools.
- Monitors the production process – Detects faults and production errors, Tests programs, Administrates and archives project data.
Required Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control and costs for maximizing the effective manufacture of goods.
- 3+ years’ experience in a similar position in metal manufacturing industry.
- Strong background in mechanical operations with metal parts.
- Strong experience with laser and machining programming software.
- Ability to use power hand tools as required
- Must be able to communicate with others
- Must be able to follow and understand instructions
- Ability to work Safe and knowledge of OSHA regulations
- Ability to work in a team environment and be a team player
- Ability to read, understand, and follow blueprints
- Must be able to work carefully and in a concentrated manner.
- Attention to detail
- Must have a strong willingness to learn
- Must be able to work with little supervision
- Must monitor and maintain quality
- Must be able to identify process improvement
- Must be able to operate technical equipment
- Must be able to detects faults and consults with supervisor.
- Must be able to detect ergonomic working methods while using the correct aids for the job
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. Monday through Friday, 6:00AM to 2:30 PM . Schedule is subject to change based on business needs. May be required to work overtime, weekends, and shiftwork.
This position does not require travel.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment/physical requirements described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
Employee will be subject to warehouse environment, cold temperatures of 40 degrees , and will be required to wear jacket. Noise levels of 90 decibels can be reached at certain times. Can be exposed to fumes or airborne particles while in manufacturing environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing all day. The employee must frequently lift and/or move items over 75 pounds.)
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.