Assignment type: Graduation
Start date: February 2021
Assignment duration: 9 months
Educational level: WO
Desired study: Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Computer Science, Cognitive Robotics
Language: Dutch or English
Online shopping has become very popular over the last years. The demand for automated order fulfilment is therefore also increasing at a rapid pace. However, there are still some open challenges before automated solutions can reach a human-level of performance.
Imagine that you order online groceries. You don’t want that your vegetables are crushed by a heavy bottle of coke. And to save transport costs, warehouses demand solutions that can fit as much as possible items in a box. This assignment is about solving those challenges.
In this assignment you will optimize the stacking capabilities of a robotic system for the wide variety of products that are handled in logistic processes. This can be compared to a 3D tetris game, where you encounter all kind of different shapes (e.g. boxes, cylinders, spheres). As Vanderlande, we are particularly interested how Machine Learning techniques can help here.
In the Innovate department (part of R&D), no two days are the same. Our activities are based all over the world and each project is different. We constantly spot and explore new technologies and applications that enable Vanderlande to create valuable and sustainable systems for our customers in Warehousing, Parcels, and Airports.
Tasks / responsibilities
- Compare different Machine Learning techniques and their applicability to the use case
- Design and validate a stacking algorithm for bin packing by using Machine Learning techniques
- Show robot stacking performance in a demonstrator
- Knowledge about different Machine Learning and optimization techniques
- Experience with Machine Learning tools (e.g. Microsoft Azure, TensorFlow)
- Preferably practical experience in applying Machine Learning on a real use case
- Strong communication skills to gather feedback from internal stakeholders
Do you recognize yourself in this challenging profile? And are you looking for an internship/graduation assignment in an organization that has been elected as “Best Employer” for years in a row? Please fill out the application form and upload your resume and cover letter. For more information, contact us by e-mail: email@example.com or Jasper Pijnenburg (Campus Recruiter) by phone: +31 413 49 44 08.