Vanderlande’s Health, Safety and Environmental Manager is responsible for the safety, health, and regulatory compliance of installation project execution of Material Handling Systems, Airports, Warehouse Automation and Parcel Sortation systems and for the operation and maintenance of these systems for our customers throughout North America. HSE NA Team has employees at the customer center headquarters, supply chain, and operations at key accounts and active projects in the United States and Canada.
You will work closely with both Business Units’ Project Management Officers and Managers of Site Management to ensure that all projects are supported by our HSE professionals and highlighting any need to contract additional support. You will also work closely and directly manage the HSE professionals, both Vanderlande employees and HSE Contractors, that support Vanderlande projects and key accounts in the United States.
In this position, you will be working with the HSE professionals and the project teams to manage the safety and compliance of installation of baggage handling, automation, or parcel sortation system. You will work closely with the HSE professionals at the sites and ultimately for the project safety of our high-quality installation and project teams as they perform the project for our customers. You will be proactive in providing solutions to challenges in project safety delivery, provide necessary guidance and coaching as events dictate and will measure project success and provide timely reporting of issues and metrics. The HSE Manager is responsible for the safety and compliance of all the projects and will manage the HSE professionals to ensure the projects are adequately supported.
You will report directly to the Senior HSE Program Manager for the North America Customer Center.
- Manager of HSE team of professionals at Project, Service, and Key Account sites to ensure consistency, quality, budget adherence and project/site management and external customer satisfaction.
- Develop practices and procedures to ensure operational excellence for HSE NA.
- Provide operational support to field safety officers and managers.
- Ensure coordination of resources necessary to successfully implement projects, including availability of skilled and motivated workers, equipment, safety resources, and training.
- Promote Safe Base as a core value, ensure compliance with all VI HSE programs and requirements, and show leadership in promoting safety. Ensure that sites perform required periodic inspections, training, and documentation.
- Monitor, review and report monthly project financials and department expenditures to ensure budget adherence.
- Provide direction and support related to underperforming projects, to achieve budget and performance targets.
- Implement HSE standards and principles, policies, and practices including but not limited to; safety management systems, training, risk assessments, assist with project site assessments, and applicable safety regulations.
- Conduct health and safety audits of project and active construction sites to ensure compliance with health and safety requirements as well as Vanderlande’s lifesaving rules.
- Ensure compliance and implementation of US health and safety programs that exceed regulatory requirements.
- Maintain a billability of 50%.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications, Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree – Engineering, Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Health and Safety or related fields
- Must have thorough knowledge of US Construction Safety (29 CFR1926) and US General Industry Safety (29 CFR1910)
- Prefer a minimum 10 years’ safety-related experience and leading construction/installation projects. in particular:
- Managing Construction/Installation projects and HSE professionals doing such projects
- Incident / Problem Management
- Building best practices/Standard Work
- Analysis and Reports
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent grammar and writing skills.
- Strong supervision skills, particularly supervising off-site personnel
- Proven ability to lead others.
- Communication and interpersonal skills to effectively manage and motivate employees and communicate objectives and action plans.
- Proficient use of computer and corresponding programs – Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Ability to implement behavioral-based safety techniques to improve/maintain safety performance.
- Ability to establish positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH)
- Experience in Design Safety/Product Liability reviews
- Experience with R15.06, Industrial Robots and Robot Systems – Safety Requirements
- Experience with 1910.147, The control of hazardous energy
- Experience with ANSI B11.19 Performance Requirements for Risk Reduction Measures: Safeguarding and Other Means of Reducing Risk
This is a full-time, benefit eligible position.
This position may require travel up to 80% travel.
This position has supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- The work environment/physical requirements described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Uneven and broken ground
- Need to comply with all required PPE, including any health or pandemic-related requirements.
- Use of ladders and stairwells
- Ability to inspect a large construction/installation project on several floors.
- Use of fall-protection equipment
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.