As ICS & EBS PLC Maintenance Technician, you play a key role in the operations and maintenance of the baggage handling system at the LAX TBIT terminal, with a strong focus on ICS and EBS systems in the tunnel, MSC and NBHS area. You will carry out emergency response maintenance, as well as inspections, preventative and corrective maintenance and other specialized electro-mechanical maintenance activities on site. You will handle errors in the system as well as resolve jams and handle manual encoding as well as load correction operations. You ensure complicated errors on mechanical, electrical, electro-mechanical and basic PLC level are resolved quickly adequately and sustainably. You ensure the systems stays in optimal condition and is functioning at the best of its technical abilities and operational needs.
Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Solve errors on electrical and mechanical fields as well as the basic PLC level in automated handling systems
- Perform basic PLC and VFD diagnostics, adjust setting / parameters, and version control and backups
- Carry out electrical-mechanical and PLC related inspections, corrective and preventive maintenance as well as emergency maintenance. Including researching and requesting spare parts, and replacement or fixing of parts/assets if required.
- Following and executing trouble shooting and maintenance activities in accordance with diagrams, electrical drawings, O&M manuals and manufacturer’s specifications using hand tools and precision measuring and testing instruments.
- Reporting and administration of the carried-out operations and maintenance activities, including service reports, parts usage and warranty records.
- Responsible for resolving manual coding issues on bags that are routed to them and where the existing code is unreadable by manual coding the bags and/or adding identification to bags
- Responsible for resolving bag loading issues and load correction zones and ensure bags are loaded correctly into the system.
- Respond to service callouts, error notifications, alarms, warnings and complaints.
- Reporting of problems/maintenance activities that needs attention, also on controls level
- Clear bag jams should they occur to restore operations and correct system functioning as soon and effective as possible.
- Work safely and promote safe working environment; Exercise safe working practice at all times, complying with Lock-Out/Tag-Out procedures.
- Keep system and surrounding floor space clean and free from obstructions
- Advise and execute optimization of (sub) systems after consulting the supervisor, control and propose improvements for the quality of the service process
- Occasionally support the overall team by helping out or filling in for colleagues within the O&M team.
- Taking the initiative, being responsive and proactive
- Cooperation and teamplay
- Customer orientation/service provision
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Troubleshooting and analyzing skills
- Safety awareness
- Stress resistance, Ability to maintain overview in hectic environment
- Results oriented
- Ability to make choices and set priorities to balance safety, operational needs, system integrity & functionality
- Flexibility with time, able to shift priorities quickly based on staff and system needs
- Working knowledge of computers and equipment
- Ability to solve problems under pressure
- Pro-active attitude towards process improvement
- Minimum associates/2yr college degree with electro-mechanical education or affiliated fields
- Minimum of 1 years’ experience in electro-mechanical maintenance
- Minimum 1-year experience with CMMS systems, preferably Maximo
- Perform specialized / difficult preventive and corrective maintenance tasks for electrical and mechanical components
- Specialist in the field of electro-mechanical technology, good understanding of PLC hard- and software
- Knowledge of PLC controls, Ability to Read and interpret PLC and SCADA logs, possibly programming settings adjustments
- Ability to train colleagues to execute operational and maintenance activities
- Quickly respond to failures and ability to prioritize correctly to ensure safety, system functionality & integrity and operational requirements.
- Electro-mechanical fault finding and repairs
- Controlling baggage flows and correcting flow disturbances such as solving errors, unjamming and manual encoding / load correction activities.
- Ability to work under stress situations
- Ability to speak, read, understand and write English
- Available to work scheduled shifts, which may require work at night, weekends and holidays as required.
- Flexibility to take-over the work to the next shift team,
Must be able to attain and sustain an Airport I.D. Badge, and airport driving permit and a CBP Security seal.
Must hold a valid driver’s license
• Certified or Licensed Electrician
• Ability to read PLC code and/or ability to program
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
Full time position; 24/7 operation; 3 shifts; overtime, weekend and holiday work are common.
This position might require international travel for training/education.
this role has no supervisory responsibility
The physical demands for this position are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate (transmit, convey, receive) information. The specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. The employee is frequently (26% to 74%) required to climb; reach; sit; and access confined spaces that require kneeling, crawling, and other positions that require physical maneuvering. The employee is frequently required to work at heights. The employee is constantly (75% or more) required to move and lift objects (luggage bags, stack of tubs, tools, equipment, parts, etc.) of up to 50lbs; bend/twist; stoop; stand; walk; push-pull. The employee is occasionally (up to 25% of the time) required to carry and transfer up to between 50 and 120lbs.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of extreme weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud due to aircraft engines and equipment.
Employee works in the secured baggage handling area, repair station, airfield, office environment and other areas within the airport. They often must meet strict deadlines to maintain flight schedules.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vanderlande is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.