As a Sourcing Manager you will be responsible for developing and maintaining a reliable supplier base in North America to support current and future projects. You will define the strategy for categories including mechanical components for both projects needs and factory BOM.
You will source items ahead of the execution of projects so they are ready to purchase when needed, and you will support the project buyers throughout the entire procurement process to ensure the suppliers are performing as agreed.
The Sourcing Manager is part of Supply Chain Center North America and will report to the Manager of Strategic Sourcing, while collaborating with his counterparts in Europe and Asia for global categories.
1. Provide a reliable base of approved suppliers in North America (US, CA, MX) to support the business units current and future needs.
- Own and nurture the relationship between key suppliers and Vanderlande, become intimately familiar with suppliers’ capabilities, strengths & weaknesses.
- Identify potential new suppliers and manage the supplier assessment, approval, and onboarding, with the input of internal customers.
- Propose the optimization of the supplier base for each category (develop, add, remove) based on the risk and spend level (strategic, bottleneck, leverage).
- Negotiate supply agreements and cost models with key suppliers, ensure pricing and lead time information is updated in the ERP master data.
- Support buyers to escalate and resolve issues with existing suppliers, evaluate supplier performance through scorecards and quarterly business reviews.
2. Anticipate the upcoming project requirements to ensure successful procurement.
- Identify project specific requirements (technical, volume, etc..) in the sales pipeline (12+ months out) to proactively ensure the right suppliers will be available.
- Support local manufacturing of Vanderlande equipment by developing domestic sources for key components specified by our R&D group.
- Propose alternate/equivalent items to reduce lead times.
- Collaborate closely with product R&D and project engineering, to review technical requirements. Recommend how to adjust specifications to minimize costs, lead time and risks (manufacturability, use of US materials and standards, standardization…).
- Communicate upcoming market changes to internal customers (price, lead time, workload, technology, new players, M&A…).
3. Leverage procurement categories to minimize the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) for Vanderlande.
- Be the sourcing point of contact for a portfolio of categories in the NA region.
- Develop RFP’s to benchmark families of items, set selection and award criteria to assess proposals, identify cost reduction opportunities and get them implemented.
- Develop category strategies to improve cost, lead time and quality, get buy-in from key stakeholders, and publish them throughout the organization.
- Educate operational buyers so they become more knowledgeable about your categories and can take on delegated tasks (RFQs…) to progress toward more senior roles.
- Collaborate closely with sourcing managers in the Netherlands and China to align the global category decisions.
- Apply best sourcing practices and identify continuous improvement opportunities in tools and processes (RFI, RFQ, award criteria, spend analysis, category maturity…).
- Minimum 3 years of experience in Procurement with at least 2 years in a sourcing position.
- Expertise sourcing mechanical components, catalog, and off-the-shelf items.
- Bachelor's degree in Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Supply Chain (or similar field).
- Must be willing and able to travel up to 20% to build strong relationships with domestic suppliers and identify their development needs.
- Master's degree.
- Purchasing certification (CPP, CPPM, CPM/CPSM or related).
- Prior experience in the material handling systems industry or similar project-based industries.
Knowledge-Skills-Abilities & Technical skills:
- Experience with procurement methods (should cost, RFQ, linear pricing, EOQ, experience curve, Kraljic matrix…).
- Ability to develop business cases based on total cost to support procurement decisions.
- Ability to analyze spend and turn it into useful information (excel pivot tables, graphs, vlookup…).
- Ability to summarize complex situations and provide clear recommendations.
- Entrepreneurial spirit, ability to set own goals and get things done.
- Good time management, ability to multitask, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Excellent negotiation skills, creative thinker, problem solver.
- Good interpersonal and influencing skills, superior communicator.
- Sense of customer service, cross functional team player, relationship builder.
- Ability to deal with fluid situations, incomplete information, flexibility.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Vanderlande is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.