Do you want to be part of an innovative Technology / R&D organization? Do you enjoy solving and optimizing logistic and software puzzles? Are you a communicative analyst who wants to develop his/her technical knowledge in a young and enthusiastic team?
Vanderlande’s warehousing solutions are the first choice for major e-commerce players across the globe, helping them to fulfil their promise of same-day delivery for billions of orders. In addition, nine of the 15 largest global food retailers rely on Vanderlande’s efficient and reliable solutions. Our airport’s baggage handling systems are installed in over 600 airports around the globe, capable of moving over 4 billion pieces of baggage around the world per year. For the parcel market our systems handle 52 million parcels per day.
To make sure that these systems meet the performance requirements of our customer, the Simulation and Emulation Department specializes in the analysis of system performance and system behavior by means of simulation models and operational data. The engineers within the department use the results of these analyses to verify that performance requirements are met and to suggest improvements to system designs. We work within all the market segments (Airports, Warehousing and Parcel), for all phases of the life cycle of a system, from R&D and sales, to project execution and life cycle services.
As a Specialist simulation software engineer you are responsible for designing, programming, testing and maintaining simulation and emulation software and models. The, often complex, functionality of the software includes business logic, controls for mechanical transportation, sortation and storage equipment, communication with external computer systems, logging, reporting and data analysis.
As a software engineer in our team, you are responsible for all aspects of software engineering. You talk to colleagues to find out what to build. You also design, discuss, and implement the solution in the form of a simulation or emulation model.
The software you write in these models is highly complicated, it has to simulate/emulate all the relevant parts of the real system, while still maintaining performance. We want to be able to run our model on a standard laptop, which makes performance a challenge. This means your job isn't just to write working, readable code, but also to write performant code. The main challenge in your day-to-day job is finding the correct abstraction: “How can we leave out as much as possible without sacrificing the relevant details and still allowing users and developers to comprehend the logistic process and system behavior?”.
All in all, we're looking for someone with an affinity for technology and logistics who's also a competent programmer and system thinker.
Required Education and Experience
- 8-12 years relevant work experience (seniority level)
- A PhD or Master Degree in a technical field, preferably Computer Science or Software Engineering
- A minimum of 8 years working experience developing in Java
- Interest in working with graphs (nodes and edges), complex software, in a challenging domain
- Experience in working with Git (Bitbucket), SVN or other distributed source control systems
- Solid experience with model building, requirements specification, able to turn abstract concepts into model requirements.
- Strong Development and modelling experience (2D / 3D).
- At least 6 years of experience in project-driven work-environment
Preferred Qualification (Any of the following additional experience are a plus)
- Software development within various industrial environments like baggage handling, Warehouse Control/Execution software or equivalent
- Familiarity with the logistic process industry
- Experienced in working with Atlassian tools (JIRA, Confluence, etc.) or other applications supporting Agile environment.
- Working knowledge of multiple Java IDEs like IntelliJ, Eclipse, and/or NetBeans
- Open GL experience is an advantage.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal) in English
- Very good interpersonal skills (team player, and enjoys helping the team grow)
- Ability to lead one or more development teams and organize technical activities within Agile process
- Able to handle own planning as well as planning for project team and adapt to deadline-shifts with ease
- Be able to contribute to the onboarding process of additional team members
- Ability to work in a fast-paced operational environment with competing priorities and multiple stakeholders
- Strong analytical abilities, and able to put forward recommendations and solutions
- Fast learner with curiosity and strong inquiry skills
- Proven experience working with colleagues located in different parts of the world
- Willing to travel occasionally
- Willing to spend 2 month for an initial training in the Netherlands