Vanderlande’s Site Management Department is responsible for the Installation and project execution of Material Handling Systems, Warehouse Automation Sortation systems for our customers throughout North America. The increasing number of new projects and their geographical spread means the team is growing and expanding. A Mechanical Installer will assist with the installation, assembly, dismantling, maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair of machinery. This role is 100% travel with an expectation to work 55 to 60 hours per week and offers pay at time and one half for all time worked after 40.
Essential Functions (Job Duties and Responsibilities):
- Works with industry-specific and high complex precision machines including but not limited to High Speed Sorters, All types of conveyors, hydraulic systems, pumps, gears, bearings, compressors, etc.
- Assist with fitting bearings, align gears and wheels, attach motors and connect belts according to manufacturer’s blueprints and drawings
- Assist with the dismantling of machines using hammers, wrenches, crowbars and other hand tools
- Assist with the unloading, inspecting, moving and setting of equipment into position using cranes, hoists, dollies, rollers and trucks
- Uses rigging and hoisting devices such as chokers, chain falls and come along to move equipment / materials into place
- Follows direction from supervisor
Required Qualifications, Education and Experience:
- Must have 1 to 2 years of experience
- Must be able to meet all physical demands – see below
- Must have experience using industrial hand tools and power tools
- Must have tools – list will be provided
- Must have reliable transportation and be able to work 7 days as needed
- Experience working as a mechanical installer helper on a new construction project
- Formal/technical education
- Basic knowledge of hand tools and power tools
- Knowledge of industrial machinery and equipment
- Working knowledge of cables, ropes, hoists, and chains
- Organization and time management
- Good aptitude and manual dexterity
- Knowledge of math concepts, geometry, and layout
- Good reading comprehension
- Ability to work with others – team player
- Good communication skills with co-workers and supervisors
- Commitment to Vanderlande values and safety rules and regulations
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time benefit eligible position with an expectation to work an average of 55-60 hours per week. Must be willing to work 7 days a week with paid overtime.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment/physical requirements described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job
- Substantial to extensive amounts of standing, walking, bending, squatting, sitting and lifting
- Will talk and hear to communicate
- Will use arms and hands to signal, grab, hold, turn, push, and pull objects, materials, controls and tools
- May require picking up, lifting, carrying and moving up to 50lbs
- Will work at heights, climb ladders and stairways, and may occasionally work from platforms/scaffolding using the appropriate fall protection requirements.
- Working in all weather conditions (including heat, rain, cold and wind) while wearing appropriate PPE
- frequent exposure to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration and high noise levels
- Wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) including but not limited to hard hat, safety glasses/goggles, ear plugs, masks/respirators, hi-vis safety vests, leather gloves and leather steel-toed work boots
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Vanderlande is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.