Title: Mechanical Project Engineer
Vanderlande’s Service RMR Department is responsible for the planning and implementation of complex material flow systems as well as their refurbishments, extensions and modifications that require professional project execution skills. As Mechanical Project Engineer – RMR, you assume overall responsibility for the translation and optimization of functionality sold to a working mechanical design within the budget in consultation with other disciplines during a successful design, specification and commissioning of RMR projects (revision / modification / retrofit) in the Service department. You will be responsible for ensuring the design meets the customer requirements, is coordinated with other trades to minimize conflicts during installation, can be installed with efficiency, and maintain excellent communication with the site team.
- Coordinate with a project lead (if not yourself) to evaluate project planning/schedule of all engineering tasks required to complete a project and evaluate resource needs and required durations
- Mentor project resources to ensure tasks are completed on time, within budget, and with a high level of quality
- Focus on process improvements (multi-disciplinary)
- Work in concert with other departments; controls engineering, supply chain, project management, site management, etc. to ensure complete system design and functionality is achieved
- Specify the mechanical equipment required, including both Vanderlande manufactured and third party purchased items
- Translate customer drawings and specifications into a fully functional mechanical system
- Optimize the functionality from as sold to a working mechanical design within the budget in consultation with other disciplines (Controls, Supply Chain, Installation, etc.)
- 3D modeling of systems and associated 2D layout drawings in conjunction with the Layout Engineers
- Perform spatial analysis of clearance envelopes, egress pathways and fork truck vehicular aisles
- Engineering of non-standard mechanical interfaces
- Apply safety regulations and ergonomics
- Create an equipment manifest with respect to electrical and controls engineering requirements
- Calculate system component loads and translate reactive forces to the building structure
- Document all engineering decisions through design plans, complete and clear installation files, and engineering instructions directed to a site supervisor and installation subcontractor
- Support the installation and commissioning both on site, and from the Marietta office
- Control project documentation using a rights-based database system
- Able to guide Project Manager from the Mechanical Engineering standpoint
- Able to advise and coordinate a project team with Layout Engineers and Mechanical Project Engineers.
- System and concept thinker and can translate this into a detail system design
- Strong communicator who can effectively understand and set expectations for deliverables
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English as well as proven success presenting ideas to vendors, associates, and customers.
- Able to handle time sensitive situations and quickly set the right priorities, while maintaining a firm grasp of the details
- Strong team-oriented mentality and acceptance of responsibility for project completion
- Sufficient experience working with other operational departments to integrate mechanical engineering efforts into coordinated project success
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must be willing and able to travel domestically and internationally
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar industry experience
- 5 or more years of experience working with a team of engineers for the realization and execution of a project – ideally in material handling markets, but other construction type projects could be applicable (building construction, plant redesigns, piping or refinery projects, etc.)
- Proficiency in AutoCAD 2D, with 3D proficiency is a plus
- Capable of supporting multiple projects in the engineering and installation phase
- Able to manage conflicts and relationships within project team as well as with other disciplines
- Experience in the baggage handling industry or industrial conveyors
- Must be willing and able to travel domestically up to 25% with occasional international opportunities
Vanderlande is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
A Toyota Industries Company