Vanderlande’s Site Management Department is responsible for the Installation and project execution of Material Handling Systems, Airports, Warehouse Automation and Parcel Sortation systems for our customers throughout North America. The increasing number of new projects and their geographical spread means the team is growing and expanding. You will report hierarchically to the Group Leader of Site Management, and daily to the Project Manager. In this position, you will be working within a Site Management project team to manage the installation of baggage handling, automation or parcel sortation system. You will be responsible for high quality installation and to ensure the system is installed with efficiency, against the project specifications and technical requirements.
A Mechanical Superintendent II will Supervise the installation, assembly, dismantling, maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair of machinery and leads successful on-site installation, servicing and repair processes of complex equipment, and systems. You are proactive in reporting and resolving logistic, technical or organizational problems and have good communication with the customer about progress, out of scope work, non-conformities, timely payments and all other site related issues. You will be managing projects (10-20M) with minimum support from the office. You will be responsible for a team of 20-40 installers. This role is up to 100% travel and it is expected to work 55 to 60 hours per week with overtime after 40 hours worked.
Essential Functions (Job Duties and Responsibilities):
- Works with industry-specific and high complex precision machines including but not limited to High Speed Sorters, All types of conveyors, hydraulic systems, pumps, gears, bearings, compressors, etc.
- Supervise with fitting bearings, align gears and wheels, attach motors and connect belts according to manufacturer’s blueprints and drawings
- Supervise with the dismantling of machinery using hammers, wrenches, crowbars and other hand tools
- Supervise with the unloading, inspecting, moving and setting of equipment into position using cranes, hoists, dollies, rollers , and trucks
- Supervise rigging and hoisting devices such as chokers, chain falls ,and come along to move equipment / materials into place
- Supervision of 20-40 installers
- Will work closely with the Vanderlande Management team to manage several groups of leads and installers
- Will have to ability to manage multiple of personnel and tasks
- Ensure the Vanderlande processes within the project
- Initiates improvements of the site management process
- Perform quality checks on installation and these processes
- Monitor and manage quality, time, costs and provision of information
- Identify and analyze (potential) problems / risks and opportunities and initiates adequate corrective and preventive actions
- Commitment to Vanderlande values and safety rules and regulations
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- 5 to 7 years of experience as in mechanical installations
- Ability to meet all physical demands – see below
- Experience using industrial lifting equipment, hand tools and power tools
- Must have reliable transportation and be able to work 7 days, as needed
- Ability to read blueprints, schematic drawings and engineering specifications, and understand how to read and interpret technical manuals in order to determine work procedures
- Experience working as a mechanical installer on a new construction project
- Valid passport in the event international travel is required
- Must have a valid driver's license
- Safety awareness for the assigned scope
- Contract management experience
- Project planning and site organization
- Experience using industrial hand tools and power tools
- Knowledge of industrial machinery and equipment
- Working knowledge of cables, ropes, hoists, and chains
- Very knowledgeable of the Vanderlande way of working, plans and specs
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- OSHA 30
- Former/technical education
- Knowledge of Microsoft office software
- Knowledge of math concepts, geometry, and layout
- Knowledge of software like JDE, Insight, omni tracker, smart team, straight web is preferred
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position, Monday through Friday, 40 plus hours a week, eligible for overtime after 58 hours. Must be willing to work 7 days a week with paid overtime.
This position may require up to 100% travel.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment/physical requirements described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Substantial to extensive amounts of standing, walking, bending, squatting, sitting ,and lifting
- Will talk and hear to communicate
- Will use arms and hands to signal, grab, hold, turn, push, and pull objects, materials, controls, and tools
- May require picking up, lifting, carrying, and moving up to 50lbs
- Will work at heights, climb ladders and stairways, and may occasionally work from platforms/scaffolding using the appropriate fall protection requirements
- Working in all weather conditions (including heat, rain, cold and wind) while wearing appropriate PPE
- Frequent exposure to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration and high noise levels
- Wearing personal protective equipment (PPE), including but not limited to hard hat, safety glasses/goggles, ear plugs, masks/respirators, hi-vis safety vests, leather gloves, and leather steel-toed work boots
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vanderlande is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.