As a second-line support engineer you will be working within the North American Support Center (NASC) call center team alongside other Control Support Engineers. The NASC is part of the Global Service Helpdesk, which is responsible for registering, tracking, documenting and handling disruptions, errors and inquiries regarding automated material handling solutions supported by the Vanderlande Services for North America, and other sites as and when required.
The candidate must be able to demonstrate several years’ experience working in Controls Engineering, with Site based service or an office role supporting Low Level Controls (LLC) and PLC’s for customers. They should be able to demonstrate a sound knowledge of commissioning, installing and/or debugging of PLCs and IPCs. They must have experience in Allen Bradley PLC’s, a knowledge of Webfactory, field buses (PROFIBUS, ASI), a knowledge of networks and some knowledge of Schneider or Siemens PLC’s would be an advantage
Essential Functions (Job Duties and Responsibilities):
- Work with NASC team in Incident- management for Vanderlande supported material handling solutions
- Support of Low-Level-Controls systems, and PLC issues raised by customers
- Able to diagnose, and rectify Low-Level-Controls and PLC faults within tight deadlines
- Able to perform PLC checks, modifications and updates as needed
- Work to process and escalate as required
- Write up incident summaries and provide reports as and when required
- Willing to work on shift and be on out of hours on call cover
Required Education and Experience:
- Experienced to degree level in a relevant engineering competency
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in controls technology
- Hands-on experience with Allen Bradley, Siemens or/and Schneider PLC.
- Strong communication skills, both spoken and written
- Some experience with high-level controls. (SCADA, IT Networks, databases, software, etc.)
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Computer Science.
- Understand Controls software for automated logistics systems
- Able to work on own initiative
- Able to prioritize work as and when needed
- Good team player
- Willing to learn and improve technical capabilities
- Pragmatic and proactive
- Good analytical skills
- Solution-oriented attitude
- Great troubleshooter and problem solver
- Service minded
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position, working within a call center environment and shift Rota’s/on call cover will be in place covering extended hours 7 days per week.
- Occasional travel to customer sites in North America is required.
- Some international travel will be required for training purposes.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The role may require site visits, and candidates should be able to access unhindered these environments, in order to perform essential functions of this job. These will include site inspections and visual checks if and when required.
The role will require the candidate once established to provide cover for other team members, and assist in training , development and mentoring of other members of the team. Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Vanderlande is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.