The Product Design Engineer will work in a multi-disciplinary, collaborative customer-focused environment to determine and translate customer needs into simple and effective design solutions, provide accurate time estimates, produce manufacturing and assembly drawings, and create BOMs.
Essential Functions (Job Duties and Responsibilities):
• Responsible for maintaining VI USA standard product lines, including supporting documentation
• Develop VI USA standard product drawings
• Generate project specific drawings as needed
• Recognize potential issues and eliminate them during the design phase
• Create bill of materials
• Understand and follow established processes for releasing and managing product drawings
• Be a resource for coordinating technical details with VI USA Supply Chain
• Occasional travel to manufacturing facilities and project sites to evaluate processes and design improvements
• Occasional hands-on assembly/testing of conveyor equipment
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering/engineering technology
• 3+ years’ professional experience with sheet metal design in Solidworks
• Experience with Solidworks Static Simulation
• Understanding of AutoCAD
• Hands-on manufacturing/assembly/repair experience
• Understanding of manufacturing processes and their limitations
• Understanding of welding types, procedures, and sizing
• Understanding of basic machine components
• Understanding of a variety of hardware
• Understanding of product data/document lifecycle management software
• Ability to manage projects independently
• Creative problem-solving skills
• Knowledge of the metric system
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m.
This position requires up to 20% travel.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may sometimes be asked to assist in product testing or evaluation. This may expose the employee to moving mechanical systems, as well as requiring lifting of up to 30 lbs.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.