Vanderlande is the global market leader in baggage handling systems for airports, and sorting systems for parcel and postal services. Working within London Office and customer sites across the UK, the Infrastructure Project Engineer (Oracle/Unix role) will be a project resource providing Baggage IT Support to Project teams. The infrastructure project engineer will have a strong understanding of infrastructure technologies with high skill levels in Oracle Database and SUSE Linux disciplines. The candidate must have the ability to make technical decisions and evaluate how changes will impact the operation. Work closely within a small team of highly skilled infrastructure project resources responsible for O/S, Database & Middleware technologies – Oracle (including Dataguard), Weblogic, UNIX, Windows, SQL Server, primary role is to support and develop Heathrow based projects and test environments, but work away from Heathrow maybe necessary.
- To provide technical leadership and architectural support to Project teams.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
- Act as the Lead on projects requiring changes to O/S, Database & Middleware technologies – Oracle, Weblogic, SUSE LINIX, Windows.
- String database (Oracle) skills, ability to analyse database performance and improve performance in a high pressure mission critical environment.
- Maintain test environments and help maintain control within these environments for infrastructure and application changes.
- Keep up to date with Oracle database related technologies and best practice
- Propose appropriate architectures, data models and software system designs.
- Lead Capacity & Performance Management for HLC systems.
- To work with customers to establish requirements and propose solutions.
- Manage complex application releases into live environments creating scripts and process required for a successful implementation.
- To help train & develop CST Support Engineers, strengthen their support capability & toolset.
- Work with support teams, other TA’s, third party vendors and integrators to create Technical Standards and processes.
- Guide product lifecycle & development.
- Assist sales opportunities with the IT expertise required.
- Complex problem resolution – fault finding, root cause analysis.
- Work with Software House Architects on future Baggage product design.
- Contribute to Product Roadmap.
- Infrastructure, Application and Integration Testing.
- Increased resilience and reliability of the infrastructure supporting the VI baggage applications
- Technical documents – e.g. for training, configuration management, design & build
Build Reputation with Customers
Create effective and good working relationships with all departments to ensure that customer expectations are exceeded
Drive to Win
Ensure all requests are dealt with efficiently, ensuring employees have everything required in order to carry out their daily duties
Working as part of a team to ensure a smooth running of the department and business
Every day better
Responsible for the continuous improvement of policies and procedures as well as learning continuously and developing professional potential and ability
Safe Base & We Care
Support a safe working environment within business development through championing and encouragement of a safety first culture
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Experience working in a similar technical IT role. Preferably working in a Corporate / Enterprise environment.
- Work effectively within a high achieving team
- Ability to formulate an approach to complex and varied IT projects
- Capability to understand the bigger picture and work towards achieving project goals
- The ability to understand and respond to business priorities
- The ability to assimilate new concepts
- The ability to work accurately under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Good customer-facing skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels
Strong Infrastructure, database & architecture experience (e.g. Oracle, SUSE Linux, SAN storage, Networks).
Middleware technologies – WebLogic
Excellent understanding of underlying technologies hosting applications – databases, application servers, web servers, client installations.
Good knowledge of networking in an enterprise context
- Enterprising and adaptable
- Must be proactive, focused on overall service improvements & capable of taking the lead on own initiative.
- Ability to work under pressure on mission critical systems
- Strong customer focus
- Team player, adaptable and willing to broaden skills outside core skill set, and to develop and mentor other team members.
- Ability to own tasks to completion
- Escalate issues as appropriate to ensure resolution.
- Knowledge of Baggage or Material Handling systems.
ANY OTHER INFORMATION
The job also requires the individual to maintain an awareness of technical developments and products in order that the benefits of their introduction to VI may be understood.