Job Description – QA Engineer – JR26415
The Quality Engineer is part of Supply Chain Quality and drives the activities to ensure materials delivered to project teams conform to specifications, and are purchased from approved suppliers:
- Conduct quality assessment for potential suppliers
- Onboard new suppliers so they are compliant with the expectations of the Supplier Quality Manual
- Determine quality requirements for first articles and ensure compliance (PPAP/PSW)
- Monitor the components deemed Critical to Quality (approval status, inspection requirements…)
- Develop Quality Control Plans for the key equipment that will be ordered for customer projects
- Manage review and approval of requests for concessions with input from R&D and project teams
- Handle the resolution of defective materials received from suppliers/factories (SCARs, 8D, CAPA…)
- Conduct supplier audits and supplier development initiatives to reduce quality risks
The Quality Engineer reports to the Director of Quality Assurance for North America, within the Supply Chain business unit.
Essential Functions (Job Duties and Responsibilities):
- Perform initial supplier assessments and surveillance audits and report fact based risks
- Track completion of corrective actions to address non-conformities, major and minor findings
- Assess supplier processes to identify possible issues, and recommend adjustments to increase robustness.
- Work with suppliers to create inspection requirements and criteria where process capability lacks
- Request First Article Inspections (FAI) at the introduction of new products, process changes or for new suppliers using PPAP methodology. Drive actions needed to secure full FA approval.
- Advise R&D Engineers on drawing dimensions so the design is more manufacturable / measurable
- Flag high risk parts for inspection (supplier, pre-delivery, incoming).
- Supports in house inspectors and suppliers to ensure Inspections are conducted using adequate and calibrated equipment, and appropriate measurement techniques.
- Outsource measurements and inspections that require specialized expertise (material analysis…)
- Develop in-house inspection capabilities as needed to be more self-sufficient
- Evaluate quality issues and set correct classification of defect and priority level
- Request Supplier Corrective Action and track until SCARs are closed for assigned suppliers
- Make recommendations for possible corrective action to Vanderlande Factory
- Implement containment actions to stop the continued production and use of non-conforming products internally and externally. Report actions taken and escalate systemic issues.
- Assist in determining disposition of rejected products, and trigger field replacements as needed
- Lead 8D activities throughout the supply base; help improve supplier performance
Continuous improvement and measurement
- Lead and report on the ongoing QA continuous improvement initiatives, and document the results.
- Develop and populate quality metrics and KPIs (actual vs. goal, performance, workload)
- Support internal process audits against standard work defined by line managers
- Work with all departments to mitigate process deviations before they develop into quality problems. Conduct internal audits and identify Corrective Actions needed.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree (Technical preferred) or Minimum 5-7 years related manufacturing quality experience with High School diploma
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt or Black Belt
- Certified ISO Auditor
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This position requires up to 25% travel.
- Ability to work Safe using knowledge of OSHA regulations
- Ability to understand and explain blueprint requirements (GD&T, ASME Y14.5, weld symbols AWS & ISO standards)
- Knowledge of inspection equipment, including calibration requirements, Gage R&R, MSA,…
- Experience with dimensional and form inspection techniques, inspection limits, corrections…
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes (laser, bending, welding, coating, machining, casting…)
- Experience with Quality Management Systems (ISO 9001…) and assessment/audit techniques
- Knowledge of lean and sustainability requirements, ability to assess suppliers
- Knowledge of problem-solving techniques and root cause analysis, 8D, 5 Why, etc
- Working Knowledge of First Article approval process (PPAP, PSW, Failure Modes and Effect Analysis-FMEA, Control Plans, work instructions)
- Knowledge of Statistical Process Control concepts (Process Capability studies, Cpk, 6 sigma…)
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, Word and Power Point, Visio
Interpersonal and soft skills (Competencies):
- Able to work collaboratively in a Team environment, and communicate effectively with others
- Able to understand and follow instructions, and work independently with little supervision
- Able to work carefully, consistently and in a concentrated manner, with attention to details
- Display ownership and awareness of their responsibility for the product quality in the value stream
- Able to manage difficult conversations with internal colleagues and suppliers to do the right thing
- Strong Analytical and Problem-Solving mindset, with an investigative attitude identify root causes
- Able to drive the implementation of robust preventive solutions
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills, can present recommendations clearly
- Strong willingness to learn and be coached
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
- This is a full-time position. Monday through Friday.
- Schedule is subject to change based on business needs.
- May be required to work additional hours when business situation requires it.
- Hybrid work schedule – 2 days per week from home – Tue and Wed required in the office
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The employee may encounter the work environment/physical requirements described below in order to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- stand for extended periods of time, walk, bend, kneel, stoop, crouch, crawl, and climb, and lift heavy objects (up to 40 lbs)
- visit manufacturing facilities and project sites that requires personal protective equipment (high visibility vest, safety glasses, helmet, steel toe shoes)
- be subject to warehouse environment with or without air conditioning, cold and hot temperatures, that may require wearing a jacket, and complete repetitive tasks with few breaks.
- required to talk with and hear others regularly, including in a loud environment, with noises created by machinery.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description only cover key activities, and is not a comprehensive list of the duties and responsibilities required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time.