The Quality Engineer must be able to clearly state issues noted, apply root cause corrective action techniques and develop actions and action plans to prevent recurrence of a discrepancy. He/she must be competent with the use of all inspection tools and techniques, develop plans and quality inspection work instructions for internal use and external use at a Supplier location and/or a Site Installation.
Essential Functions (Job Duties and Responsibilities):
- Perform Visual Mechanical inspections of Production and Purchased parts using complex inspection equipment and specifications.
- Work with all departments to mitigate process problems that could develop into quality problems for our customers, internal and external.
- Evaluate problems and make recommendations for possible corrective action to Factory, Supply Chain personnel, Installation Sites and Customers.
- Conduct Inspection in a timely and diligent manner using appropriate methods and techniques; provide results in real time in order to stop the continued production of non-conforming product internally and externally.
- Coordinate and complete calibration of all test equipment and fixtures.
- Perform First Article Inspections at the introduction of new products, new machinery or for new suppliers using PPAP methodology. Evaluate problems and make recommendations for corrective action.
- Witness checkpoints, assembly stages, system operational tests, tolerance measurements, and procedural steps when required
- Work with new suppliers in developing inspection requirements and reporting criteria.
- Perform audits at Suppliers when required.
- Assist in determining disposition of rejected parts/products.
- Accurately document the results of the inspections and testing daily; reports should include inspections completed at each work station; number of inspected parts in lot or batch, number of rejected parts. Using Statistical Process Control (SPC), provide report to management of percent defective
- Take lead role in 8D and 6S actives throughout the plant; help to improve plant performance and organization.
- Develop metrics for inspection data.
- Maintain Supplier Corrective Action System.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor Degree (Technical preferred) with 3 years of experience or Minimum 5-7 years related manufacturing experience with High School diploma
- Strong knowledge of quality tools such as Gage R&R, MSA, PFMEA, Control Plan, GD&T, SPC, Cpk, Dimensional checks.
- Excellent Problem Solving Skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, Word and Power Point
- Ability to work independently. Strong Analytical Skills
- Well-developed interpersonal, verbal and writing skills.
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time. High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Knowledge of metal properties and operational sequences, production, assembly, and logistics processes
- Knowledge of "6S", “8D”, ISO 9001 and OSHA requirements
- Knowledge of quality equipment and procedures, including calibration
- Knowledge of blueprints, welding symbols (AWS & ISO standards)
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt or Black Belt is a plus
- Certified ISO Auditor is a plus
- Must be able to communicate with others
- Must be able to follow and understand instructions
- Must be able to work with others and in a Team environment
- Ability to work Safe using knowledge of OSHA regulations
- Ability to read, understand, and follow blueprints
- Must be able to work carefully, consistently and in a concentrated manner.
- Attention to detail
- Must be able to adopt an investigative attitude in order to detect anomalies and report them.
- Must be aware of their (shared) responsibility for the quality of the final product within the value stream.
- Must have a strong willingness to learn
- Must be able to work independently with little supervision
- Working Knowledge of "6S"
- Working Knowledge of Failure Modes and Effect Analysis (FMEA), Process Capability studies, Control Plans, First Article Inspections
- Knowledge of quality equipment and procedures, including calibration requirements
- Working knowledge of blueprints, welding symbols (AWS & ISO standards)
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. Monday through Friday. Schedule is subject to change based on business needs. May be required to work overtime, weekends, and shiftwork.
This position requires 25% travel.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment/physical requirements described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Employee will be subject to warehouse environment, cold temperatures of 40 degrees , and will be required to wear jacket. Noise levels of 90 decibels can be reached at certain times. Can be exposed to fumes or airborne particles while in manufacturing environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing all day.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Vanderlande is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.