As a subsidiary of Toyota Industries (TICO), Vanderlande North America is enjoying rapid growth and extraordinary market demand. Vanderlande is a global market leader in material handling system manufacture, design, installation, and service. Vanderlande systems employ the latest in robotic, mechanical, and software technology. Vanderlande’s customers are household names in e-commerce, package delivery, and air transportation.
As part of the sales team, it is your responsibility to work collaboratively with the sales manager and customer to identify and analyze needs and transfer those into a successful system design with appropriate options and tradeoffs identified. You will present these designs to the customer, further fostering the engagement, and helping them make decisions as to the correct solution. You will report to the Director of Sales Engineering, Airports.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Construction, or related field
- 0-2 years of related experience
- Limited decision making, heavily dependent on more senior members to draft decisions
- Works on projects/matters of limited complexity in a support role
- Work is closely managed with consistent direction and supervision
- No “customer facing” or interaction is expected
- Some degree of Emotional Intelligence is expected with the willingness to be resilient and grow
- Reports to a Unit Lead or Supervisor
- Be “customer-centric” while adhering to company policies, processes, and culture.
- Increase your value within the company while providing value back to customers during their lifetime with the company.
- Collaborate along Business Development Managers, department colleagues and internal stakeholders in generating new business and ensure growth of existing accounts.
- Read, understand, and interpret RFP documents (written requests, specifications, requirements, and layouts)
- Translate needs contained within RFP’s into solutions while evaluating technical conformances, non-conformances, functionality, business needs, cost, and risks.
- Evaluate risks and develop mitigation plans.
- Estimate material and labor costs for projects/services in response to RFP’s.
- Calculate costs based on analysis of project specifications, schedules, historical data, and other inputs as needed from internal stakeholders.
- Circulate and assist with presenting material deemed for approval by company management at different levels according to company guidelines.
- Research, develop, design and present (directly/indirectly) reports showing potential customers the cost benefit of purchasing company products/services.
- Provide (directly/indirectly) technical training to clients and communicate customer feedback for future product/service developments.
- Assist with project post-execution cost analysis to impact/calibrate future estimates.
- Use technical knowledge of product/service offerings to support and build sales.
- Qualifications according to the prescribed level
- Strong written, verbal, communication, and presentation skills
- Strong estimating and calculation skills, with a high level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Work well in multi-disciplinary team(s)
- Work effectively in an exciting and fast-pace environment
- Ability to multi-task and work on several projects simultaneously
- Ability to work effectively in an entrepreneurial international organization, often working across organizational, geographic, and cultural boundaries
Preferred (Additional) Requirements:
- Experience in warehouse automation and/or material handling systems
- Experience with logistical processes and system design
- Experience with both controls and mechanical technology
- Prepared to travel up to 25% domestically and internationally.
Expected of a Sales Engineer:
- Educate yourself on your role but embrace the unknown
- Get to know your coworkers
- Pay attention to details
- Have good communication skills
- Be ambitious and creative
- Take a break in/out of work when possible
- Find ways to multitask and stay organized
- Get involved and motivated
- Manage your time judiciously and prioritize
- Create goals for yourself
- Exemplify company core values
- Willing to accept constructive criticism
- Strive to make a career out of the opportunity and not just “a job”
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vanderlande is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.