Sales Layout Engineer (Vancouver based)
Do you enjoy solving 3D puzzles? Are you creative, flexible and fast? Then join our Design team in Vancouver!
In the Systems Solutions Department, you will join a group of enthusiastic, highly trained professionals who design and sell Material Handling projects for the Airports and Parcel Divisions. Within the department, much attention is paid to personal development to enable everybody to build a great career.
As a Sales Layout Engineer, you draw the systems that Vanderlande delivers. You will work in AutoCAD and REVIT to lay out our logistics systems in 3D space. Together with your internal customer you optimize the concept within the space available. You suggest system improvements, cost savings and you make sure future expansion remains possible.
- Build knowledge of VI products (mechanical and functional) and how/when to apply them.
- Set up, design, and manage 2D/3D Models of material handling systems (baggage or parcel) using computer-aided design and drafting software.
- Have the ability to read and understand architectural, mechanical and structural drawings.
- Read, understand and interpret RFP documents (written requests, specifications and layouts).
- Read, understand and interpret PFD’s (Process Flow Diagrams) and MFD’s (Material Flow Diagrams).
- Challenge the Sales Engineer/Consultant in creating the best possible overall solution.
- Evaluate potential layout problems, changes to a design and have the ability to report clearly on these.
- Communicate and coordinate design, CAD and BIM issues with client, 3rd party design consultants, sub-contractors and suppliers.
- Identify and propose improvements, considering building, equipment and functionality.
- Consider and include sound opinions and feedback from others in the overall solution.
- Translate decisions and directives into an optimized 2D/3D model while looking at all different design aspects (e.g. technology, standards/specials, feasibility, accessibility, serviceability, steelworks and site conditions).
- Explain, justify and present chosen layout(s) to internal and external stakeholders in a convincing way, outlining impact and benefits.
- Create (rendered) pictures and animations for various purposes or coordinate it to achieve the correct objectives (e.g. proposals and presentations).
- Create reliable, detailed bill of material/manifest for pricing and archive the bill of material/manifest accordingly (e.g. equipment, resale, specials and steelwork).
Sales Layout Engineer
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Construction, or related field and work experience.
- 2-4 years of related experience.
- Candidate relies on own experience and judgment to make decisions with occasional help of more senior members.
- Work is collaborative in nature and managed with limited direction and supervision.
- Occasional “customer facing” or interaction is expected with guidance by experience colleagues.
- Strong written, verbal, communication and presentation skills.
- Understand how to perform pertinent site surveys (e.g. building configuration analysis, site measurements, 3D scans and site survey reports).
- Well-advanced and skilled in the use of computer-aided design and drafting software (e.g., AutoCAD, Revit and Navisworks).
- Proficient in the use Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Visio, etc.).
- Work well within multi-disciplinary team(s).
- Work effectively in an exciting and fast-paced environment.
- Ability to multi-task and work on several projects simultaneously.
- Ability to accurately judge time and effort required to complete work on time.
- Ability to work effectively in an entrepreneurial international organization, often working across organizational, geographic, and cultural boundaries.
Preferred (Additional) Requirements:
- Experience in automated material handling systems.
- Experience with logistical processes and system design.
- Experience with both controls and mechanical technology.
- Prepared to travel up to 25% domestically and internationally.