Vanderlande is a global market leader in material handling system design, manufacture, installation, and service. Vanderlande systems employ the latest in robotic, mechanical, and software technology. Vanderlande’s customers are household names in e-commerce, package delivery, and air transportation.
The Legal Department is responsible for a broad range of activities including commercial trade and transactions, dispute resolution, compliance, employment, and risk management. As a small and talented team, we maintain a solution-oriented approach to solving business challenges. We aim to improve Company growth and profitability by creating opportunities, mitigating risk, enhancing reputation, and promoting ethical behavior.
This motivated and energetic Senior Counsel will report to the General Counsel and engage in a variety legal and compliance services supporting the business across North America. Key focus areas will be supporting project sales and subcontracting, project performance, and related compliance programs.
The Senior Counsel will drive certain project transaction, claim management, and compliance activities, as well as support senior attorneys in the department. The Senior Counsel will develop a strong understanding of Vanderlande projects and business strategy and advise the business based on expertise and experience in construction contracts and claims. .
- Review RFPs for projects, analyze risks and opportunities, negotiate project agreements, and support in the procurement of products and services to deliver the projects.
- Support project managers in administration of contracts and any potential claims and disputes. Drive resolution of disputes as quickly, favorably, and at the lowest cost reasonably possible.
- Promote effective use of contract templates, transaction forms and processes, and Contract Management System software.
- Continually strive for excellence in legal advice, advocacy, and compliance enforcement services, through continuing education, staying current on status of laws and best practices.
- Engage with BU staff to understand the key strategies, pipeline priorities, and project execution challenges. Issue spot for areas where Legal can support the BU in achieving its objectives.
- Promote quality and consistency in service by the Legal Dept. to the Company as a whole, by proactively seeking collaboration with other Legal team members and ensuring alignment in Legal Department work flow, guidance as to common issues, templates, training, and other service areas
- Coordinate certain compliance programs, including development, training, and auditing.
- Research legal issues and developments, prepare updates and memoranda.
- Prepare and conduct training for business departments on legal issues.
- Support discovery, document management, and other tasks related to litigation.
- Coordinate with outside counsel on various issues as needed
- At least 5 years of experience as practicing attorney specializing in construction transactions and claims.
- Construction industry experience preferred.
- Strong academic credentials.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and critical reasoning skills.
- Passionate and conscientious approach to compliance.
- Ability to pass background check to the extent required to obtain clearance for TSA-secured areas of US airports.
This position requires domestic and international travel, typically 5 to 10% of the time.
Vanderlande offers a competitive salary complemented by a full, comprehensive benefits package including Medical Insurance, Vision Plan, Dental Insurance, Life Insurance, 401k with matching, Short and Long Term Disability, and CLE Budget.