Senior Splunk Engineer at Operational Awareness team within Digital Service Factory (DSF)
Job Location: Pune, India
Vanderlande provides baggage handling systems for 600 airports around the globe, capable of moving over 4 billion pieces of baggage around the world per year. For the parcel market our systems handle 52 million parcels per day. All these systems generate data. Do you see a challenge in building data-driven services for our customers using that data? Do you want to contribute to the fast-growing Vanderlande Technology Department on its journey to become more data driven? If so, then join our Digital Service Factory team!
The Digital Service Factory is a unit within Vanderlande that focusses on technical innovation by using AI, Machine Learning and other cutting-edge technologies. Splunk is also a part of that stack and it is used for many purposes, but mostly for providing data insights to Vanderlande’s customers.
Vanderlande has a unique Splunk environment in that it’s not only used for improving internal processes and insights: its main use case is to be sold as VIDI (Vanderlande Industries Data Intelligence). VIDI is a set of productized dashboards and more, accompanying the systems that Vanderlande sells for Parcel, Warehouse and Airport customers.
This position consists mostly of platform work for the Splunk environments: your goal is to help improve the Maturity level of the Splunk platform within Vanderlande. Next to that you will also have a dashboarding part in this position where you will help improve the productized dashboards that Vanderlande sells as VIDI.
Your Position – Platform
As a Splunk engineer you will be working on the Splunk platform, which is running on VM’s in Azure. This means scaling, operational work (e.g. config/bundle pushes), life cycle management upgrades, building API integrations and more. At Vanderlande we are focused on automation: whichever task requires re-occurring manual work, is to be automated. Also knowledge sharing is important for Vanderlande, you will take part in regular knowledge sharing sessions. This helps you to keep learning, but also provide information about your work and the Splunk platform to your colleagues.
Your Position – Product Development
As a Splunk engineer you will also collaborate with subject matter experts (SMEs) to understand business requirements on KPIs definition and visualization. You will be responsible for developing and deploying dashboards based on these requirements. Besides developing dashboards in Splunk frontend, you will know how to create data models to ensure the high performance of Splunk apps. You will work closely with data engineers in the product team to optimize how data shall be stored and indexed on VI Splunk Platform to ensure the Splunk apps with high performance. You will proactively share your best practice with the rest of the team on how to build Splunk apps and searches.
- You will manage the Search Head and Indexer Clusters and Vanderlande and will scale them as needed
- You wil perform Life Cycle Management upgrades for the Splunk environments
- You will monitor the performance of searches that are being executed on the platform
- You will orchestrate all maintenance and config deployments to the platform in order to maintain the SLA/uptime of the environment
- You will create custom API integrations between Splunk and the other apps/services that Vanderlande offers
- You will work together with SMEs to understand KPI definition and implement KPIs in Splunk.
- You will work closely with UX designer to create front-end layout and KPI’s visualization in Splunk.
- You will collect feedback from customers and stakeholders and always search for opportunities to improve the existing standardized product.
- You will identify opportunities and implement solutions to improve the performance of search queries, such as by creating data models, together with data engineers.
- You will define and create unit test cases for testing pipeline of Splunk app.
- You will monitor the Splunk pipelines as well as the infrastructure of the Splunk solutions and product we deliver.
- You have experience or have ambition to learn how to design and build a CI/CD pipeline, including (integration) test automation for Splunk app. In this process you strive for an ever-increasing degree of automation.
- You will work in two-week sprints and participate in the other SCRUM meetings (Retro, Backlog trimming, Sprint planning etc.)
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, IT or equivalent with relevant work experience is preferred.
- Splunk Architect or Core Consultant certification is preferred
- Experience with cloud platofrm is preferred (Azure, GCP, AWS)
- Knowledge and experience working with Agile/SCRUM and DevOps way of working
- Minimum 5 years' experience working with a clustered Splunk environment, with 12 – 15 years total experience
- In-depth knowledge of Splunk Infrastructure and architecture (indexer cluster management, search head cluster management, raft consensus mechanism etc.).
- Hands-on experience setting up clustered Splunk environments (preferably multi-site or multi-region) from scratch (with or without Splunk role for Ansible)
- Hands-on experience in building dashboards in Splunk (summary indexing, data models, kv store lookups, base searches etc.).
- Hands-on experience in Python.
- Hands-on experience in API usage
- Hands on experience on CI/CD, Data/Code testing (e.g., Bamboo, Artifactory, Git, Ansible).
- Knowledge and hands-on experience of Microservice knowledge such as Kubernetes/Docker is preferred.