Vanderlande’s Site Management Department is responsible for the Installation and project execution of Material Handling Systems, Warehouse Automation and Sortation systems for our customers throughout North America. The increasing number of new projects and their geographical spread means the team is growing and expanding. You will report hierarchically to the Mechanical installation’s manager, and daily to the Site Manager. You will be responsible for performing high quality mechanical installation and to ensure the system is installed with efficiency, against the project specifications and technical requirements. You will follow detailed instructions to perform mechanical installations and escalate any discrepancies in the customer standards, provided drawings or other information. This role is 100% travel it is expected to work 55 to 60 hours per week with overtime after 40 hours worked.
- Responsibilities:Works with industry-specific and high complex precision machines including but not limited to High Speed Sorters, All types of conveyors, hydraulic systems, pumps, gears, bearings, compressors, etc.
- Assists with fitting bearings, align gears and wheels, attach motors and connect belts according to manufacturer’s blueprints and drawings
- Leads up to 2 other installers / helpers to carry out tasks assigned by supervisor
- Layout and install industrial control equipment as detailed in engineering layout drawings in accordance with customer specifications and NEC requirements
- Install and test industrial networks as detailed in the engineering drawings
- Work independently and complete tasks on time with minimal direct supervision
- Audit and check an installed system for quality and completeness against a checklist
- Maintains a high degree of safety awareness and a rigorous standard of personal safety
- Assists supervisor with leading less experienced locally hired personnel
- Maintains clear communications with supervisor on any issues of safety or productivity
- Assists with the dismantling of machinery using hammers, wrenches, crowbars and other hand tools
- Assist with the unloading, inspecting, moving and setting of equipment into position using cranes, hoists, dollies, rollers and trucks
- Uses rigging and hoisting devices such as chokers, chain falls and come along to move equipment
Required Qualifications, Education and Experience:
- Ability to travel 100% of time, including internationally
- Must have minimum of 3 years of experience in mechanical installations
- Must be able to meet all physical demands – see below
- Must have experience using industrial hand tools and power tools
- Must have tools – list will be provided
- Must have OSHA 10 or above
- Ability to take direction from supervisor in assigning tasks to be completed by crew
- Ability to plan work for a larger crew on more complex projects and provide training/direction as well as daily goals for crew
- Ability to troubleshoot basic control and motor wiring circuit problems
- Ability to read and comprehend engineered drawings and schematics
- Ability to evaluate progress against goals
- Ability to identify productivity improvements and quantify for supervision
- Very safety conscious and ability to provide safety leadership for assigned workers
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Minimum 3 years of experience and knowledge in installing and/or maintaining conveyor equipment
- Valid Passport
- Basic computer experience; basic emailing, spreadsheet input and report input
- Experience working as a mechanical installer on a new construction project
Self-motivated; results oriented; task oriented
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time benefit eligible position with an expectation to work an average of 55 to 60 hours per week. Must be willing to work 7 days a week with paid overtime
This position requires up to 100% travel
Supervision of 1 – 2 installers
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment/physical requirements described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Substantial to extensive amounts of standing, walking, bending, squatting, sitting and lifting
- Will use arms and hands to signal, grab, hold, turn, push, and pull objects, materials, controls and tools
- May require picking up, lifting, carrying and moving up to 50lbs
- Will work at heights, climb ladders and stairways, and may occasionally work from platforms/scaffolding using the appropriate fall protection requirements.
- Working in all weather conditions (including heat, rain, cold and wind) while wearing appropriate PPE
- Frequent exposure to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration and high noise levels
- Wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) including but not limited to hard hat, safety glasses/goggles, ear plugs, masks/respirators, hi-vis safety vests, leather gloves and leather steel-toed work boots
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vanderlande is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.