Vanderlande’s Engineering Department is responsible for the design, specification and commissioning of material handling systems for our customers. In this position located in New York City, you will work in a multi-disciplinary, collaborative customer-focused environment as the Vanderlande structural engineering subject matter expert for NYC, NY.
Essential Functions (Job Duties and Responsibilities):
- Help design effective and efficient secondary support systems for conveyor, catwalk, and platform.
- Review project layouts, load and beam calculations, egress routes, stairs, step-overs, and other relevant permitting information for accuracy and completeness.
- Gain understanding of and implement customer requirements into designs.
- Lead permitting efforts for Vanderlande in New York.
- Fully understand permitting requirements for NYC, NY.
- Guide, review, and seal engineering documentation.
- Build reputation with permitting authorities and be responsible for communication and interface with said authorities.
- Inspect mechanical installation of systems by subcontractors for accuracy against design documents.
- Facilitate inspections for permits as required.
- Lead as-built information gathering, documentation finalization, and stamping at phase and project close down.
- Responsible for supporting technical scope, engineering planning, cost, and budget control for the steel construction of large complex projects.
- Be a resource for coordinating technical details with VI USA ESO and R&D.
- Suggest improvements to existing equipment designs.
- Occasional travel to Marietta, GA office and other sites for project coordination, collaboration, and training.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in civil engineering or structural engineering
- Professional Engineer license in the state of New York
- Thorough knowledge of ASCE, IBC, and OSHA
- Permitting experience with PANYNJ
- 5 years experience in material handling or related industry
- Structural design experience at JFK International Airport
- OSHA 30 certification
- Understanding of applicable structural codes for NY
- Understanding of requirements for supporting mechanical and electrical subsystems to building steel and concrete beams and deck
- Understanding of typical steel connection methods and capacities
- Understanding of typical concrete anchoring methods and capacities
- Advanced knowledge of steel stress-strain analysis
- Understanding of a variety of hardware and capacities
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Ability to direct a team of engineers and site personnel
- Ability to present engineering related information in a clear and concise manner to stakeholders
- Experience on active construction sites
- Safety first minded
- Knowledge of the metric system
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Experienced user of AutoCAD 2D/3D
- Experienced user of Navisworks and/or BIM360
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position, typical hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. but may require non-standard hours based on project needs
This position requires up to 5-10% travel occasionally
This position may require substantial travel to and from job sites and stakeholder offices
This position has no supervisory responsibilities
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment/physical requirements described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
Lift 50 pounds occasionally.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, see, and hear. This position is requires sitting/standing in front of a computer in a stationary position for a large portion of the work-day. This position needs to visit and move about construction sites that may include hard to traverse terrain, catwalks, low head clearance, dark areas, loud noises, and other potentially unsafe conditions. Candidates may also be exposed to moving mechanical parts, electrical hazards, vibration, and loud noises. Candidate must be able to see, hear, and react to audio and/or visual warning signs.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.