Vanderlande’s LAX TBIT O&M Team is responsible for the Operations and Maintenance of the Material Handling Systems for our customers. In this position, you are part of a team of engineers that operate in our customer’s control room the BHS applications and IT, as well as PBB SCADA. You are responsible for monitoring Baggage controls applications (VIBES High Level Controls Software) and IT systems, as well as PBB SCADA systems. You manage the flow in the baggage system and adjust where needed (applying contingencies, reschedule and reassign flights and bags, etc). You are responsible for finding and resolving system issues (incident management), researching problem solutions (problem management) and advising changes (change management) for operational systems. You will be in frequent contact with customers, partners, suppliers, your colleagues in the O&M team to ensure the baggage operations runs smoothly.
The Vibes Support Specialist reports directly to the Supervisor Operations, but is part of a matrix organization.
Essential Functions (Job Duties and Responsibilities):
- Work with customers and colleagues to guide daily operations using high-level controls software.
- Acts as a single point of contact and initial level for all operational issues and customers requests
- Communicate system disruptions to customers and stakeholders – explain problems, provide solutions, initiate contingency protocols, reschedule flights/bags and reroute in system, collect and log information (within for example ITSM tools and/or CMMS systems),
- Initiate incident management ITIL process in case of issues; handle first level incidents, and manage escalation to remote helpdesk
- Research system issues by analyzing processes and data, innovate new solutions and prevent future disruptions.
- Manage routing and functional escalation to other support teams (f.e. based in Atlanta, Canada or Europe or provide by third party suppliers), including escalation in case of major incidents.
- Clearly report to our customer and stakeholders on the status of the system and BHS operations according to the service level agreements
- Work with customers and colleagues to guide daily operations using high-level controls system (VIBES)
- Resolving hardware and software faults whist minimizing operational disturbances. Set up and maintain back-up and recovery procedures
- trial contingency plans on a regular basis.
- Proactively monitor IT infrastructure and applications.
- Support design, testing and implementation of disaster recovery routines and procedures. maintain software to ensure IT and Controls systems operate to full capability
- installation of infrastructure and application software releases and patches.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in relevant study (logistics, IT, industrial or computer engineering)
- Affinity with intralogistics and operational environments, preferably a background in automated handling systems, the capital goods industry and/or system integration business (warehouses, logistics, airports baggage handling systems).
- Experienced in managing 24/7 mission-critical systems in complex IT environments.
- Minimum 3-5yrs relevant work experience
- Excellent communication skills, and experience working in a customer service role.
- Willingness and ability to work 12-hour shift from 6am-6pm covering operations with 4 days off.
- Teamplayer, adaptable and willing to broaden skills outside core skillset.
- Experience in database management (preferably Oracle/Weblogic)
- Knowledge of operation systems (Windows, Linux, Unix)
- Willing to travel occasionally internationally
Must be able to attain and sustain an Airport I.D. Badge
- Exceptional communication skills and customer service orientation.
- Ability to work under pressure on mission critical systems.
- Good knowledge of IT infrastructure (i.e. network: technology/protocol, hardware: server/client)
- Good knowledge of baggage operational processes and high level controls applications
- Strong analytical and problem solving capabilities.
- Good knowledge of complex electromechanical systems
- Experience in manipulation and extracting of log files and information from several sources.
- Good understanding of underlying technologies hosting applications, databases, application servers, web servers, client installations.
- ITIL foundation v3 or v4 certification.
- Eager to learn and able to work independently, entrepreneurial approach, coupled with the ability to take initiative and make decisions under pressure.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This position is working ability a 12-hour shift from 6am-6pm covering operations with 4 days off.
This positions requires 20% of travel occasionally (specifically a trip within the first months to Canada). Needs to have a passport.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of extreme weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud due to aircraft engines and equipment.
Employee works in the secured baggage handling area, repair station, airfield, office environment and other areas within the airport. They often must meet strict deadlines to maintain flight schedules.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to handle or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Alternative or combined skills in understanding, counseling, and/or influencing people are important in achieving job objectives, causing action, understanding others, or changing behavior; and, skills of persuasiveness or assertiveness, as well as sensitivity to the point of view of others.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed the baggage handling system, mechanical parts and vibration. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
This is a full-time, exempt position, eligible to receive an hourly rate and to participate in an annual performance bonus program. The salary range listed represents the maximum and minimum starting base pay for this position as of the time of posting. Final salary offered will be determined based on factors including but not limited to the candidate's skills and experience. The annual performance bonus program is preset and not candidate-dependent.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vanderlande is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.