Vanderlande’s Site Management Department is responsible for the Installation and project execution of Material Handling Systems, Warehouse Automation and Parcel Sortation systems for our customers throughout North America. The increasing number of new projects and their geographical spread means the team is growing and expanding. You will report hierarchically to the Construction Manager. In this position, you will be working within a Site Management project team to manage the installation of automation or parcel sortation system. You will be responsible for overseeing an installation crew working on a section of the project, ensuring the installation is performed safely while maintaining compliance with quality standards, project specifications, and technical requirements.
You will be overseeing and running Major Projects with 100 plus installers with the support of supplemental Superintendents and Foreman. You will provide detailed instructions to the crew members based on engineering drawings and resolve or escalate any discrepancies in the customer standards, provided drawings or other information. You are proactive in reporting and resolving logistic, technical or organizational problems and have good communication with the customer about progress, out of scope work, non-conformities, timely payments and all other site related issues. This role is up to 100% travel and are expected to work 55 to 60 hours per week with overtime after 40 hours worked.
Essential Functions (Job Duties and Responsibilities):
- Directly responsible for leading and managing crews with over 100 installers
- Managing large projects totaling $20-100M
- Engage in an active role with onsite vendors to supplement the electrical installation
- Coordinate with Electrical Supervisor to lay out project work and ensure that materials, tools, equipment, etc. are scheduled in a timely manner to meet scope, budget and project construction schedules
- Coordinate with the Electrical Supervisor and customers to lay out locations of electrical equipment and devices
- Oversee the routing, sizing, and installation of conduit, cable tray, wireways, boxes, and other forms of electrical containment to properly accommodate equipment detailed in engineering drawings
- Ensure that all wires and cables are installed, labeled and connected as detailed in engineering drawings and schematics
- Oversee the I/O checkout of completed system insuring it matches the engineering drawings and documenting any changes
- Ensure that all industrial networking is installed and tested as detailed in the engineering drawings
- Collaborate with Electrical Supervisors and other Lead installers to find innovations and improvements to improve efficiency
- Accountable for the on-site supervision of assigned electrical installers in such a way to ensure scheduled completion of projects within established budget, time frame, quality and performance standards. Ability to evaluate progress against goals.
- Assist the electrical supervisor in reviewing project documents, plans, and specifications, directing installation activities, resolving construction difficulties, coordinating field installations, project close-outs, and developing and/or maintaining customer/client relationships
- Complete assigned tasks within the standard operating procedures, project costs, time constraints, and quality standards
- Assist with routine equipment trial runs to ensure that it meets specifications and ensure equipment is installed to Vanderlande and/or client standards
- Provide additional assistance with training of subcontractors in the installation of Vanderlande and other equipment
- Maintain a high degree of safety awareness and a rigorous standard of personal and site safety
- Oversee the setup and maintenance of temporary power systems in a safe operating condition
- Responsible for safe installations, alterations, additions, and/or repairs of electrical systems, associated materials, and equipment within the material handling industry
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Ability to travel on short notice and spend up to 100% of the time traveling
- Must be willing to be on call and travel on short notice
- Willingness to work weekends, holidays, and off-shifts
- Knowledge of conduit and containment routing and the ability to train others
- Ability to read, understand, red line, and challenge electrical layout drawings, standards, and schematic
- Ability to troubleshoot complex control and motor wiring circuit problems
- 8-10 or more years of experience troubleshooting electro-mechanical equipment
- Identify and analyse (potential) problems / risks and opportunities and initiates
adequate corrective and preventive actions
- Ensure the Vanderlande processes within the project
- Must initiate improvements of the site management process
- Ability to perform quality checks on installation and these processes
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- General proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel
- OSHA 30 training
- Journeyman and /or Master Electrician Licence
- Knowledge and understanding a personal computer, hardware set up, and software configuration
Preferred Qualification and Experience:
- Working experience with material handling equipment
- Experience with AGVS, AS/RS, or conveyors
This is a full-time position.
This position requires up to 100% travel.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment/physical requirements described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Substantial to extensive amounts of standing, walking, bending, squatting, sitting, and lifting
- Will talk and hear to communicate
- Will use arms and hands to signal, grab, hold, turn, push, and pull objects, materials, controls, and tools
- May require picking up, lifting, carrying, and moving up to 50lbs.
- Will work at heights, climb ladders, stairways, and may occasionally work from platforms/scaffolding using the appropriate fall protection requirements
- Working in all weather conditions (including heat, rain, cold, and wind) while wearing appropriate PPE
- Frequent exposure to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts, vibration, and high noise levels
- Wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) including but not limited to hard hat, safety glasses/goggles, ear plugs, masks/respirators, hi-vis safety vests, leather gloves, and leather steel-toed work boots
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vanderlande is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.