Executive Project Manager
The Executive Project Manager is responsible for the successful delivery of our Material Handling Systems at major distribution hubs and airports throughout North America. This Project Executive must have a proven track record with demonstrable positive results as the responsible manager in charge in the delivery of large (greater than $100M) and complex EPC projects or programs in either Material Handling, Power, Steel, General Construction, or similar project-driven industries.
- Builds and organizes multi-disciplined team(s) of Project Manager(s), Site Managers, Engineers, Planners, Administrators, and others as required to lead delivery large and complex projects over $100M or groups of projects comprising multi-year programs at select large airports and distribution hubs in North America.
- Leading project teams through sales, pre-construction (systems engineering), execution, and closedown phases.
- Leads the administrative, commercial, technical and financial management and control of all assigned projects.
- Establishes team expectations based upon corporate objectives
- Puts mechanisms and processes in place to ensure expectations are fulfilled
- Creates and maintains a continuous improvement loop to monitor performance and improvement opportunities.
- Coordinates with external stakeholders from middle management to C-Level stakeholders to deliver program requirements while protecting Vanderlande interests.
- Coordinates with Government and Authority Having Jurisdiction including but not limited to Building Department, Building Permit Contractor, OSHA, FMI, TSA, Fire Department, EPA, DOL, Port Authority, Airport Authority, as well as city, state, and federal governments to fully comply with the law.
- Develops and maintains appropriate relationships with labor, including local unions, to ensure successful project delivery.
- Puts organization in place to address the requirements of internal stakeholders.
- Serves as a proactive leader and problem solver to address complex issues and situations as they arise.
- Implements and leads program level Risk Management process.
- Mentors project team members.
- Sufficient understanding of contract law to successfully negotiate and execute prime contracts, subcontracts, and change orders.
- Leads training, development, and evaluation of the performance of all reporting employees.
- Works with other department managers about the needs and performance of members on the project teams.
- Directly supports sales activities as required.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- BS in Engineering, Construction Management, or similar technical field.
- Minimum 20 years Project Management experience of increasing responsibility leading teams in the delivery of large, complex projects with demonstrable positive results, including at least 10 years of experience as the responsible person in charge.
- Delivery of projects in Fixed Price and Cost Reimbursable methods.
- Direct experience with government contracting requirements for project delivery.
- Exceptional and demonstrable leadership capabilities in creating unified and motivated project teams.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Strong, independent decision-making ability.
- Solid and demonstrable negotiating skills.
- Travel, as required for the position.
- Strong business acumen who understands “Thinks Big Picture.”
- Experience leading delivery execution of complex projects such as material handling systems, institutional or manufacturing facilities, or similarly complex projects.
- Ability to get a security badge at U.S. Airports.
Desired Qualifications and Skills:
- Professional Engineer or similar credential.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) or similar credential.
- LEED AP Accredited Professional.
- Graduate Degree (technical or MBA)
- Exposure to European and American cultures.
- Airport, baggage handling system, airline, parcel, e-commerce warehouse, or similar experience.
- Pre-existing relationships with airports, airlines, Amazon, DHL, UPS, FedEx, or similar.
- Ability to coordinate tasks in a small team.
- Ability to work in an international entrepreneurial organization, especially working within a project organization, where cooperating with others and being a team member is natural.
Vanderlande is the global market leader in baggage handling systems for airports and sorting systems for parcel and postal services. The company is also a leading supplier of warehouse automation solutions. Established in 1949, Vanderlande has over 6,000 employees, all committed to moving its customers’ businesses forward at diverse locations on every continent. With a consistently increasing order intake of more than 1 billion euros, it has established a global reputation over the past six decades as a highly reliable partner for value-added automated material handling solutions.
Vanderlande is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.