The Executive Project Manager is responsible for the successful delivery of our Material Handling Systems at major distribution hubs and airports throughout North America. This Executive Project Manager must have a proven track record with demonstrable positive results as the responsible manager in charge in the delivery of large (greater than $100M) and complex projects or programs in the Material Handling, General Construction, or similar project-driven industries.
- Builds and organizes a multi-disciplined team(s) of Project Manager(s), Site Managers, Engineers, Planners, Administrators, and others as required to lead the delivery of large and complex projects in excess of $100M or groups of projects comprising multi-year programs at select large airports and distribution hubs in North America.
- Leading project teams through sales, pre-construction (systems engineering), execution, and closedown phases.
- Leads the administrative, commercial, technical and financial management and control of all assigned projects.
- Establishes team expectations based upon corporate objectives
- Puts mechanisms and processes in place to ensure expectations are fulfilled
- Creates and maintains a continuous improvement loop to monitor performance and improvement opportunities.
- Coordinates with external stakeholders from middle management to C-Level stakeholders to deliver program requirements while protecting Vanderlande interests.
- Coordinates with Government and Authority Having Jurisdiction including but not limited to Building Department, Building Permit Contractor, OSHA, FMI, TSA, Fire Department, EPA, DOL, Port Authority, Airport Authority; as well as city, state, and federal governments to fully comply with the law.
- Develops and maintains appropriate relationships with labor, including local unions, to ensure successful project delivery.
- Puts the organization in place to address the requirements of internal stakeholders.
- Serves as a proactive leader and problem solver to address complex issues and situations as they arise.
- Implements and leads program level Risk Management process.
- Mentors project team members.
- Sufficient understanding to contract law to successfully negotiate and execute prime contracts, subcontracts, and change orders.
- Leads training, development, and evaluation of the performance of all reporting employees. Works with other department managers in reference to the needs and performance of members on the project teams.
- Directly supports sales activities as required.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- BS in Engineering, Construction Management, or similar technical field.
- Minimum 20 years Project Management experience of increasing responsibility leading teams in the delivery of large, complex projects with demonstrable positive results; including at least 10 years of experience as the responsible person in charge.
- Delivery of projects in Fixed Price and Cost Reimbursable methods.
- Direct experience with government contracting requirements for project delivery.
- Exceptional and demonstrable leadership capabilities in creating unified and motivated project teams.
- Exceptional communication skills – must have a command presence.
- Strong, independent decision-making ability.
- Solid and demonstrable negotiating skills.
- Travel, as required for the position.
- Strong business acumen who understands “Thinks Big Picture”.
- Experience leading delivery execution of complex projects such as material handling systems, institutional or manufacturing facilities, or similarly complex projects.
- Ability to get a security badge at U.S. Airports.
Desired Qualifications and Skills:
- Professional Engineer or similar credential.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) or similar credential.
- LEED AP Accredited Professional.
- Graduate Degree (technical or MBA)
- Exposure to European and American cultures.
- Airport, baggage handling system, airline, parcel, e-commerce warehouse, or similar experience.
- Pre-existing relationships with airports, airlines, DHL, UPS, FedEx, or similar.
- Ability to coordinate tasks in a small team.
- Ability to work in an entrepreneurial international organization, especially working within a project organization cooperating with others and being a team member is natural.
This position requires up to 50% travel.
Vanderlande is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. #LI-AC1