The Principal R&D Engineer at Vanderlande DCE BCN will be responsible for executing overall technology vision, shaping its technical strategy, and driving its development execution that will firmly place Vanderlande as the leader in providing cutting-edge Material Handling applications. The Principal R&D Engineer will assist recruiting world-class talent, manage the appropriate development methodologies, and create the proper organizational structure to drive a high performing development team to deliver these solutions to the market with relentless execution.
This person will keep abreast of and influence technology trends, standards, and stakeholders which will further enhance adoption and market share of Vanderlande solutions. The incumbent will work in tandem with the other members of the Global R&D team as well as marketing team to further define our product roadmap and deliver against it. He/she will have the ability to bridge technology with business acumen, will bring experience in developing industry leading products, and will develop and sustain a culture of passion, hard-work, and innovation that will make VI DCE Barcelona the place to be for anyone interested in developing next generation Material Handling solutions.
- Lead Mechanical/Electrical and Controls disciplines
- Ensure coordination with EU product development teams and focus on roadmap work package delivery (not inherently NA for NA development – to benefit entire company)
- Mechanical/Electrical Standards (e.g., UL, CE)
- Competitiveness with competition (e.g., speeds, roller centers, capabilities)
- Coordinate with EU Supply and MFG to ensure product specs are capable of specification in EU with proper material
- Invent different (creative and multidisciplinary) complex designs and come to efficient choices. Can lead a group through the design process effective and efficient and gives operational and functional direction to the group.
- Realizes, tests and validates technical solutions, taking care of risks and costs.
- Drive development in a transparent way, from estimation to delivery to the organization. Focus on proper KPIs to drive quality development output on time and close to budget.
- Give lead to project team regarding the substantive technical topics. Delivers a substantial contribution in multiple teams, also in other market segments, in terms of knowledge, experience and insight in systems and technical solutions
- Simulation/Emulation Development and Integration with Tooling
- Lead evaluation and creation of emulation/simulation tools integration with ESOT (or replacement)
- Coordination with global IT and engineering teams on defining next generation tools for Winning with Smart Platforms initiative
- Lead team of Mechanical Engineers for project specific changes/modifications or development
- Coordinate with ESot and group teams to determine if the design has broader use (to be productized or not – EU and/or NA use)
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- BS/MS in Mechanical Engineering or similar technical field.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience developing Material Handling Solutions with preferable first experience in line management
- Competency in leading technical development efforts, through all phases of product development, is required.
- Proficient in the creation and critical review of engineering drawings, including the ability to critique dimensioning and tolerancing strategies, is required. Working knowledge of Solidworks is a plus
- Knowledge of common manufacturing methods, such as; Aluminum extrusion, Plastic injection molding, Rolling, Laser & Punching, Machining, etc., as well as knowledge in Sheet metal design, aluminum design, plastic parts, Motion Control & Drive Components, pneumatics
- Exceptional communication skills – must have command presence.
- Must be able to solve complex and/or ambiguous problems using good judgement as well as logical and systematic thinking. Capable of providing problem solving guidance to other engineers
- Must be able to envision design failure modes, plan for robust design assurance testing, and proactively implement contingency plans as necessary
- Strong, independent decision-making ability.
- Delivery of projects in Fixed Cost and Reimbursable methods.
- Travel, as required for position.
Desired Qualifications and Skills:
- Principal Engineer or similar credential.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) or similar credential is a plus.
- Knowledge of Agile processes and related frameworks, such as SCRUM or SAFe
- Experience developing products through a Phase Gate process as a Core Team member is highly preferred
- Strong business acumen with P&L responsibilities.
- Exposure to European, Asian and American cultures.
- E-commerce, Fashion, Grocery, Warehouse related to Material Handling, or similar experience.
- Ability to work in an entrepreneurial international organization, especially working or supporting project organization, where cooperating with other departments/disciplines and being a team member is a natural.
- This position requires up to 30% travel.
- Requires having your own car