As a Sourcing Manager you will be responsible for developing and maintaining a reliable supplier base in North America to support current and future projects. You will define the strategy for categories including mechanical components and contract manufacturing of assemblies.
You will source items ahead of the execution of projects so they are ready to purchase when needed, and you will support the project buyers throughout the entire procurement process to ensure the suppliers are performing as agreed.
The Sourcing Manager will be part of Supply Chain Center North America and will report to the Manager of Strategic Sourcing, while collaborating with his counterparts in Europe and Asia.
Main responsibilities of the sourcing managers:
1. Provide a reliable base of approved suppliers in North America (US, CA, MX) to support the business units current and future needs
- Own and nurture the relationship between key suppliers and Vanderlande, become intimately familiar with suppliers’ capabilities, strengths & weaknesses.
- Identify potential new suppliers and manage the supplier assessment, approval and onboarding, with the input of internal customers
- Negotiate supply agreements and cost models with key suppliers, ensure pricing and lead time information is updated in the ERP master data
- Support buyers to escalate and resolve issues with existing suppliers, evaluate supplier performance through quarterly business reviews
2. Anticipate the upcoming project requirements to ensure successful procurement
- Identify project specific requirements (technical, volume,…) in the sales pipeline (12+ months out) to proactively ensure the right suppliers will be available
- Support local manufacturing of Vanderlande equipment by developing competitive sources for key components, including approval of first articles, investment in supplier tooling, etc.
- Review technical requirements from product R&D and project engineering, and recommend how to adjust specifications to minimize costs, lead time and risks (manufacturability, use of US materials and standards, procurability, standardization…)
- Communicate upcoming market changes to internal customers (technology, workload, new players, M&A…)
3. Leverage procurement categories to minimize the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) for Vanderlande
- Be the sourcing point of contact for a portfolio of categories in the NA region
- Develop RFP’s to benchmark families of items, set selection and award criteria to assess proposals, identify cost reduction opportunities and get them implemented
- Propose the optimization of the supplier base for each category (develop, add, remove) based on the risk and spend level (strategic, bottleneck, leverage)
- Develop category strategies to improve cost, lead time and quality, get buy-in from key stakeholders, and publish them throughout the organization
- Collaborate closely with sourcing managers in the Netherlands and China to align the global category decisions
- Apply best sourcing practices and identify continuous improvement opportunities in tools and processes (RFI, RFQ, award criteria, spend analysis, supplier scorecards, …)
• Bachelor's degree in Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Supply Chain (or similar field)
• Minimum 8 years of experience in Procurement with at least 5 years in a sourcing position
• Expertise sourcing mechanical and electrical components, understanding of their manufacturing processes
• Must be willing and able to travel up to 20%. (domestic and international)
• Master's degree
• APICS certification (CSCP, CPIM or related)
• Prior experience in the material handling systems industry or similar project-based industries
• Experience with procurement methods (should cost, RFQ, linear pricing, EOQ, experience curve, Kraljic matrix…)
• Ability to develop business cases based on total cost to support procurement decisions
• Excellent negotiation skills, creative thinker, problem solver
• Good interpersonal and influencing skills, superior communicator
• Sense of customer service, cross functional team player, relationship builder
• Good time management, ability to multitask, prioritize and meet deadlines
• Entrepreneurial spirit, ability to set own goals and get things done
• Ability to analyze spend and turn it into useful information (excel pivot tables, graphs, vlookup…)
• Ability to summarize complex situations, and provide clear recommendations