Controls Support Engineer
Dallas-Fort Worth, TX
As a Controls Support Engineer, you will be part of the Field Services team supporting performance monitoring, conducting inspections, troubleshooting failures, and executing repairs and/or recovery of the controls, field wiring and network communication of material handling systems for our parcel and airport customers in North America.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Troubleshooting and Diagnostics on the existing Controls and IT Systems
- Conduct Root Cause Analysis and to avoid further incidents
- Actively work to decrease response time when problems occur.
- Solve unique or repetitive problems on the system
- Support Maintenance teams by providing leadership and training to minimize potential problems
- Works systematically; applies well known methods and techniques and tooling to achieve concrete and known results
- Innovate new solutions and prevent future problems.
- Clearly report to customers and internal customers on status of system and operations and come up with usable insights; propose improvements.
- Develop tools and methods to measure performance.
- Provide ongoing operational support to colleagues as well as the client during incidents.
- Provides support outside of normal business hours to 24/7 parcel/postal, warehouse or Airport Operations.
- Availability on site
- Create workarounds to incidents until the incident is resolved.
- Input to develop post incident lessons learned.
- Lead all root cause analysis and provide written analysis as well as presentations.
- Develop and provide process documentation and operating instructions to team members.
- Work closely with clients and subcontractors
- Willing to travel domestically 50-70% of the time (some international)
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent education
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in baggage handling systems or similar material handling systems that contain conveyors, sorting systems, baggage screening, baggage reclaim or robotics.
- Knowledge and experience reading electrical field wire prints and motor control panel prints as well as working with motor control panels
- Knowledge of 24-volt DC, 120-volt AC and 480-volt AC circuits
- Experience with understanding Fiber/Cat 5 communications, Siemens Micro Master VFDs, Profibus communications, or ASi Networks, or ControlNet, and TCP/IP
- At least five (5) years’ experience programming Siemens and Allen Bradley Programmable Logic Controllers and formalized PLC training.
- Must be able to attain and sustain an Airport Security Identification Display Area (SIDA) badge and any other required security clearance related to work at an airport.
- Willing to work long hours in a stressful environment at nights and on the weekends
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Experience with computer-based drafting/design; Auto CAD
- Preferred skills in designing PLC programs, SCADA systems, and networks
- Result driven attitude from a realistic perspective
- Ability to judge results and the consequences and take actions accordingly
- Strong team mentality and acceptance of responsibility for project completion
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written skills
- Self-motivated with proven ability in problem solving skills under stressful conditions
- Ability to work well with team members
- Quality driven mentality
- Interpret and knowing of procedures and regulations
- Execute independently the job within the project team (not always routine)
- Knowledgeable of electrical and controls engineering theories and principles
- Electrical aptitude and knowledge of acceptable practices, techniques, and codes
- Skilled in understanding and designing Engineering science: Logic and Programming
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position, working hour are flexible upon request and needs of our customers.
Willing to travel domestically 50-70% of the time (some international)
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment/physical requirements described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to handle or feel and talk or hear.
The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is sometimes exposed to material handling systems, mechanical parts and vibration. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud. The Technician will encounter mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic equipment. Ear protection should be worn.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions