A Mechanical Lead will assist with the installation, assembly, dismantling, maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair of machinery.
Essential Functions (Job Duties and Responsibility):
- Works with industry-specific and high complex precision machines including but not limited to High Speed Sorters, all types of conveyors, hydraulic systems, pumps, gears, bearings, compressors, etc.
- Supervises fitting bearings, aligning gears and wheels, attaching motors and connecting belts according to manufacturer’s blueprints and drawings
- Supervises the dismantling of machinery using hammers, wrenches, crowbars and other hand tools
- Supervises unloading, inspecting, moving and setting of equipment into position using cranes, hoists, dollies, rollers and trucks
- Supervises rigging and hoisting devices such as chokers, chain falls and come along to move equipment / materials into place
- Supervises up to 10 men
Required Qualifications, Education, and Experience:
- Must have 5 to 7 years of experience as in mechanical installations
- Must be able to meet all physical demands – see below
- Must have experience using industrial hand tools and power tools
- Must have OSHA 10 or above
- Former/technical education required
- Must have reliable transportation and be able to work 7 days, as need
- Must know how to read blueprints, schematic drawings, and engineer specifications, and understand how to read and interpret technical manuals in order to determine work procedures
- Experience working as a mechanical installer on a new construction project
- Must have all Journeymen hand tools – see tool list
- Working knowledge of cables, ropes, hoists, and chains
- Organization and time management skills
- Good aptitude and manual dexterity
- Knowledge of math concepts, geometry, and layout
- Good reading comprehension
- Ability to work with others – team player
- Good communication skills with co-workers and supervisors
- Commitment to Vanderlande values and safety rules and regulations
- Ability to work independently requiring minimal supervision
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position, Monday through Friday, 40 plus hours a week, but must be willing to work 7 days a week.
This position may require up to 100% travel.
Though this role will have no direct reports, it will occasionally require leading, supervising , and directing the work of journeymen, helpers , and laborers.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment/physical requirements described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Substantial to extensive amounts of standing, walking, bending, squatting, sitting, and lifting.
- Will talk and hear to communicate
- Will use arms and hands to signal, grab, hold, turn, push, and pull objects, materials, controls and tools.
- May require picking up, lifting, carrying and moving up to 50lbs .
- Will work at heights, climb ladders and stairways, and may occasionally work from platforms/scaffolding using the appropriate fall protection requirements
- Working in all weather conditions (including heat, rain, cold and wind) while wearing appropriate PPE
- Frequent exposure to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration and high noise levels
- Wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) including but not limited to hard hat, safety glasses/goggles, ear plugs, masks/respirators, hi-vis safety vests, leather gloves ,and leather steel-toed work boots
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.