Vanderlande’s Engineering Support Office is responsible for supporting the design, specification and commissioning of material handling systems for our customers. In this position you will work in a multi-disciplinary, collaborative & customer-focused environment to determine and translate internal customer needs into simple and effective design solutions, provide accurate time estimates, support various teams with product and application information & best practices.
Essential Functions (Job Duties and Responsibilities):
- Collaborate cross-functionally and cross-discipline to ensure designs are suited for purpose in large and small scale design review settings
- Be a resource for coordinating technical details with VI USA Supply Chain, project teams, site teams and sales teams locally and internationally
- Occasional travel to manufacturing facilities and project sites to evaluate processes and design improvements
- Communicate technical & performance requirements with external & internal vendors and suppliers
- Become intimately familiar with the electro-mechanical (and to a lesser extent the mechanical) operation of the equipment.
- Become familiar with each key account and their differing requirements for equipment and equipment application.
- Support the Sales Team in evaluating and surveying potential sites and projects where specialty equipment can potentially be used – either in VI integrated projects or equipment only sales.
- Support Supply Chain and Manufacturing in addressing issues with the equipment and serve as a liaison between the US Engineering Support Office (ESO) and Veghel ESO, R&D and PLM teams in identifying potential manufacturing issues, improvements, modifications, or potential cost reductions – including those driven by the customer.
- Support Mechanical & Electrical Project Engineering in any integration issues that that may arise with these products.
- Support Project and Site Management teams on projects where the equipment is used by addressing technical issues with respect to installation, integration, startup, etc.
- Support Supply Chain in the localization efforts for non-US designed equipment.
- Writing and maintaining assembly, installation, operation, and maintenance manuals and checklists.
- Verification of ESoT library functionality and accuracy prior to release.
- Receive product development requests from project, site and supply chain teams and articulate via comprehensive documentation to development teams.
- Assist in product development project prioritization and planning.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, electrical engineering technology or equivalent
- 2+ years of experience in electrical product design, electrical project engineering, hardware design/engineering in the material handling or related industry
- Control panel design to UL508A
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD Electrical
- Working knowledge of SolidWorks
- Direct experience designing UL rated cabinets and enclosures to accommodate PLC controlled systems, including power distribution, motor protection and control, and Industrial Communication and networking (i.e. ASibus, Ethernet, TCP/IP, Controlnet)
- Knowledge of NFPA & NEC standards
- Experience designing cabinets involving multiple hardware platforms for industrial control applications, including A-B/Rockwell, Siemens, Schneider, SEW
- Software development capabilities focused on maintaining and creating internal tools & processes (SQL, C++, etc.)
- Working understanding of PLC functionality & ladder logic programming
- Understanding of a variety of EM hardware types & functionalities
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Rapidly adapts to changes and is solution oriented
- Knowledge of time management; scheduling.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written skills
- Understand privacy rules and follows protocol.
- Being professional and courteous in all verbal and written communications with co-workers, vendors, superiors and customers.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge of SolidWorks Composer.
- Knowledge of the metric and imperial measurement systems.
- Knowledge of technical drawing reading, welding symbols and processes, material properties, and machine design.
- Knowledge of engineering science/technology including applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of manufactured parts.
- Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and standards involved in production of precision technical drawings and 2D & 3D CAD models.
- Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, statistics, and their applications.
- Understanding of product data/document lifecycle management software
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position, Monday through Friday, flex hours are available. Work can start anytime between 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. and end between 4:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. with a required 1 hour lunch break.
This position requires up to 25% travel
This position has no supervisory responsibilities
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment/physical requirements described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Lift 25 pounds occasionally.
- Climb and walk on catwalk, ladders, stairs, etc.
- Handle and use hand and/or power tools.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vibration. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to do the following:
- To talk and hear.
- Sit or stand in front of a computer in a stationary position for majority of the work-day.
- Standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing during site visits.
- Occasionally move about inside the office to access office machinery (printers, etc.)
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vanderlande is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.