Reports to: Engineering Group Leader
Vanderlande is the global market leader in baggage handling systems for airports, and sorting systems for parcel and postal services. A SCADA Engineer is required to join the engineering team in the UK. The UK engineering team works as an integrated part of the World Wide Vanderlande Engineering team consisting of over 800 engineers from all automated handling disciplines. A SCADA Engineer joining the UK team has the opportunities and potential to join a wide and diverse range of projects, we are looking for a SCADA Engineer with the passion and willingness to learn and develop, the ability to following challenging standards and overall to add value to our customers at home and abroad.
This role will suit somebody who is capable of collecting information and imparting it to others. The job occupant whilst being adaptable by nature, will need to ensure strict conformity with rules, systems and protocol. The area of work will have some administrative, specialist and technical aspects and the person fulfilling the role should have the persistence to see a job through to conclusion. The incumbent should be dependable, loyal, a good listener and enjoy working in a logical and systematic manner. Standard operating procedures are important aspects of this role and as such, if you are organised, structured, self- controlled and capable of communicating facts within the required area of knowledge and expertise as well as being consistent in approach, analytical, sensitive, precise and compliant then this role will suit you.
As senior SCADA Developer you will be working in an international team developing an equipment monitor component that functions as the interface between equipment and user of our Baggage Handling Systems. The component is used in different phases of projects ranging from the engineering, commissioning, acceptance and production environment. You will be a technical point of contact for the component for the SCADA-engineer as well as the whole project-team in case of problems with this component.
Since the framework is used on multiple projects, from small to large with a short to long duration, it’s a pre if you have common understanding and experience with backwards compatibility, version-control, automatic deployment and testing of software.
Your qualifications and skills
If you’re an enthusiastic, experienced, result-driven and versatile senior software engineer with a hands-on attitude, you will excel at:
- Software development for the purpose of a standardised Visualisation Library
- Software development for the project specific modules.
- Strong interaction with the internal customer and team, in some cases with the external customer
- Actively participate in the definition phase of a project
- Create project configurations for the components
- Deploy component in both factory-, and site environments.
- Verification of deployment of components in factory-, and site environments
- Analyse, troubleshoot and fix problems
- Deliver input for test-, and integration plans
- Equip test environments (prepare, build-, and configure the test environment)
- Independently execute the integration-, system- and acceptance tests in the factory and on site
Provide support within the project team and to outside stakeholders
You should also have the following qualifications / have a working knowledge of:
- Higher Professional Education (BSc) qualification in Computer Science, Information Technology or a relevant technical subject
- Knowledge of Siemens Scada systems. Knowledge of other systems, like Schneider Electric, and PLC control-systems is an advantage
- Knowledge of higher programming languages, like C# and/or Java.
- Knowledge of Interfaces to control-systems: S7 and OPC. Knowledge of AB /Modbus/IEC/SNMP is an advantage
- Knowledge of generic IT technology (AD, XML, (near) RealTime, HTTP(S))
- Knowledge of Database technology (Oracle/SQL/NoSQL) is an advantage
- Affinity with User-interface programming and Web technology.
- Basic knowledge of test processes with interest/insight in multidisciplinary environments
- Experience with Requirements Management, Change Management, Version Control and Test management tools.
- Enthusiastic result-driven professional
- Analytically strong and positively judicial
- Proactive, pragmatic and hands-on attitude
- Strong communication skills with good command of the English language