The Structural Engineer will serve as an internal consultant, from sales phase to project execution, for the steel constructions for Warehouse Automation projects in North America, Canada and Mexico. This role technically supports all assigned steel constructions, such as Platforms, Grating, Handrail, and Stairs. You are the intermediate between the project teams and external engineers/suppliers regarding steel Construction and reports to the Group Lead(s) Engineering.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Serve as the Steel Specialist on medium to large and complex material handling projects.
Prepare technical documentation and preliminary steel layouts for the requests for quotations (RFQ) taking into account clearances, clashes, and structural stability.
- Verify accuracy and completeness of all technical documentation required for the project.
- Provide competitive solutions for the steel construction and platforms for material handling systems while also considering impact on site.
- Serve as consultant for design of steel constructions according to local codes and regulations (seismic zones, deflection, etc.) and customer specification.
- Review project layouts, load and beam calculations, egress routes, stairs, step-overs from Engineer of Record for the project team and building architect.
- Prepare steel volume calculations and specifications, in conjunction with the Project Buyer Steel.
- Provide Rough Order Magnitudes (ROMs) for steel quantity and budget in particular cases.
- Continue to develop Product Data Book with all relevant information on the market of steel constructions/platforms/products to support sales, engineering, procurement, and project execution.
- Continue to develop Program of Requirements that meets Vanderlande’s demand (in cooperation with sales, engineering, procurement, and project execution).
- Evaluate the quality of the executed steel construction and provide technical support during hand over of the project.
- Focus on process improvements (multi-disciplinary) and design optimization for all steel constructions.
- Responsible (technical scope, engineering planning, cost, and budget control) for the steel construction of "large" or complex projects.
- System and concept thinker that can translate details/specifications into a detailed system design.
- Bachelor's degree in Civil/Structural Engineering.
- Minimum 3 years of experience working with steel structures.
- EIT registered with eligibility to sit for the PE within two years
- Willing and able to travel 25%.
- Must have thorough knowledge of ASCE, IBC, and OSHA.
- PE License a plus
- Proficient in Autodesk AutoCAD 2D/3D.
- Proficient in Autodesk Revit
- Experience supporting multiple departments and projects.
Vanderlande is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.