Vanderlande is the global market leader for value-added logistic process automation at airports, and in the parcel market. The company is also a leading supplier of process automation solutions for warehouses.
Vanderlande’s baggage handling systems move 3.7 billion pieces of luggage around the world per year, in other words 10.1 million per day. Its systems are active in 600 airports including 13 of the world’s top 20. More than 39 million parcels are sorted by its systems every day, which have been installed for the world’s leading parcel companies. In addition, many of the largest global e-commerce players and distribution firms have confidence in Vanderlande’s efficient and reliable solutions.
Vanderlande’s Controls Engineering Department is responsible for the designing, programming, commissioning, and testing of material handling systems for our customers. In this position you will be responsible for executing the design of both small- and large–scale material handling system solutions.
The Controls Project Engineer works closely with the Sr. Controls Project Engineer, Electrical Project Lead, Team’s Project Manager, subcontractors and Mechanical engineers involved throughout the life of the project.
• Execute projects from concept through client turnover with a positive result contribution on technical performance and financial results.
• Independently owns controls engineering of projects of moderate size, complexity, and uniqueness.
• Assists Sr. Controls Project Engineers in the execution of more complex, large, and unique projects.
• Lead junior Controls Project Engineers in the execution of project deliverables.
• Monitor internal quality of Controls deliverables to ensure high first pass yield.
• Realization of controls applications and subsystems based on user requirements and functional specification(s).
• Know, interpret, and apply procedures, standards, and regulations.
• Drive, support, promote, and improve software standardization platform.
• Select (partial) solutions from standardized solutions and re–used standard modules.
• Write, debug, and test PLC and HMI code.
• Write Controls Functional Specification / Description of Operations.
• Write detailed design documents (i.e. Controls Architecture).
• Write and execute test plans (FAT, SAT, load, rate, system tests).
• Support of the Electrical Supervisor, and/or Electrical Project Engineer(s) to minimize potential problems.
• Develop leadership role in all aspects of managing the control systems execution, from software design, system design, network design, and commissioning.
• Work closely with clients and subcontractors.
• Communicate closely with other groups within VI and the project team (i.e. Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Project Management, Supply Chain, Sales/Proposal Engineering, and Installation).
• Work on quotation bids with the Systems & Sales department on new projects and/or existing project changes.
• Report progress (hours, costs) of supervised Controls Engineering effort to the Sr. Controls Project
Engineer, Controls Project Leader and Engineering Manager.
• Assist as a subject matter expert on quotation bids with the systems and sales department on new projects and/or on project changes.
• Initiate, drive, and support continuous improvement actions to elevate the experience of other Controls
• Ability to quickly assess a situation and take appropriate action.
• Proactive, result driven, and hands on work ethic with a focus on quality.
• Strong team–oriented mentality and acceptance of responsibility for project completion.
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written skills.
• Self–motivated with proven ability in problem solving, especially in stressful situations.
• Motivator and ability to work well with team members.
• Knowledge of Electrical & Controls Engineering theories and principles.
• Electrical aptitude and knowledge of acceptable practices, techniques, and codes.
• Ability to independently execute the job within the project team.
• Logical mentality, skilled in understanding and designing Engineering Science: Logic & Programming.
• Bachelor’s degree in Electrical/Computer/Software Engineering or Equivalent.
• Minimum 4 years of experience in implementation of material handling systems or industrial controls systems.
• Minimum 4 years of experience in PLC applications (Allen–Bradley Preferred).
• Must be willing and able to travel 40% routinely, with increased amounts if projects demand.
• This position requires occasional on–call after–hours support.
• Experience with computer–based drafting/design; Auto CAD.
• Communication and networking (i.e. ASibus, Ethernet, TCP/IP, Controlnet).
• HMI/SCADA experience and understanding (Panelview, Ignition preferred).
• Ability to read structured text, write preferred.
• Experience working for/with Amazon.
Vanderlande is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.