Vanderlande’s Engineering Department is responsible for the design, specification and commissioning of material handling systems for our customers. In this position you will be responsible for executing the design of the control panels and field wiring for the material handling system solution. The Electrical Project Engineer works closely with the Controls Project Lead, Team’s Project Manager, subcontractors and Mechanical engineers involved throughout the life of the project.
- Owns electrical engineering of projects of moderate size, complexity and uniqueness under the supervision of more senior electrical project engineers.
- Assists Sr. Electrical Project Engineers and Electrical Project Engineers in the execution of more complex, larger and more unique projects.
- Lead hardware engineers in the execution of project deliverables.
- Monitor internal quality of electrical deliverables produced using drawing redlines, checklists, review meetings as needed to ensure first time right output.
- Calculate and describe the entire, or portions of, electromechanical installation (panels / field wiring / components) and functionality, under the supervision of more senior electrical project engineers, and alongside the Controls Project Leader and PLC engineers.
- Select standardized solutions from previously successful designs and re-uses standard company modules when possible for effective and economic results.
- Make detail design of the electromechanical installation and coordinate the work for realization and installation by subcontractors. Safeguards quality.
- Make (electromechanical) project documentation and technical project specifications for Controls Hardware suppliers, subcontractors and suppliers of resale equipment. Monitor the uniformity.
- Understand, interpret and apply procedures, standards and regulations on National and Local code level for the US. Able to learn code requirements for Canada and Mexico as needed or work under the direction of Sr. Electrical Project Engineers with familiarity of those alternate codes.
- Assist in making field wiring test plans for controls hardware installation.
- Report progress (hours, costs) of supervised electrical engineering effort to the Sr. Electrical Project Engineer, Controls Project Leader and Engineering Manager.
- Support of the site team, electrical supervisor, and PLC Engineer to minimize potential problems.
- Work closely with electrical engineering team to resolve clients’ and subcontractors’ questions and problems throughout project life cycle.
- Communicate and work closely with other groups within Vanderlande and the project team (i.e., mechanical engineering, project management, supply chain, sales/proposal department and installation).
- Understand and correctly apply the standardized hardware platform.
- Ability to quickly assess a situation and take appropriate action
- Proactive and hands on work ethic
- Strong team-oriented mentality and acceptance of responsibility for project completion
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written skills
- Self-motivated with proven ability in problem solving, especially in intense situations
- Motivator for coworkers
- Knowledge of controls engineering theories and principles.
- Electrical aptitude and knowledge of acceptable practices, techniques, and codes.
- Associate's or Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technology.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in implementation of material handling systems or industrial controls systems.
- Working knowledge of US National Electrical Code (NEC/NFPA 70)
- Design experience using AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN
- Must be willing and able to travel 10% routinely, with increased amounts if projects demand
- Direct experience designing UL rated cabinets and enclosures to accommodate PLC controlled systems, including power distribution, motor protection and control, and Industrial Communication and networking (i.e. ASibus, Ethernet, TCP/IP, Controlnet).
- Experience designing cabinets involving multiple hardware platforms for industrial control applications, including A-B/Rockwell, Siemens, Schneider, SEW
- Experience with AutoCAD Electrical, including BOM features.
- Experience with EPLAN.
Vanderlande is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.