Assignment type: Graduation
Assignment data: January/February 2022
Assignment duration: 9 to 11 months
Location: Veghel and home office
Desired study: Mechanical Engineering
Language: Dutch or English (English is a must)
Description of the assignment
A shoe sorter sorts products by pushing them onto an outfeed using small pushing blocks (shoes), able to move from one side of the sorter to the other.
Our new shoe sorter shall be more flexible to meet different customer demands with a single sorter. Furthermore, we require a larger range of different products and product shapes to be sorted by a single system. For instance, small letters, soft clothing packages, but also large parcels and tyres. To successfully sort all products, the sorting profile (how many pushing blocks and how they are positioned around a product) isn’t fixed as shown in the picture and movie, but they can be individually positioned as required.
Investigate and determine the optimal shape of the pushing block for our new line sorter. What is the optimal shape within given dimensions, that suits the wide variety of product shapes and sorting profiles? What material shall be used?
Posisorter team within R&D;
Work in a multi-disciplinary team to develop the new sorter. Interact with architects and System designers to derive the correct requirements to create the mechanical design.
- Theoretical research and definition of the design requirements based on:
- Max allowed dimensions
- Sorting profiles
- Allowed products
- Force between product and pushing block
- Determine ideal shape (theoretically or model-based approach)
- Define required tests
- Test and verification of shape in practice (test set-up is available)
- Use the feedback of the tests to optimize the shape
- Design for the new pushing block
- Validation of design
- Mechanical design program (Solidworks)
- Background in Mechanics and dynamics