The Packaging Engineer will collaborate with various stakeholders to ensure key criteria is achieved in the performance of packaging. The position will lead domestic and international packaging projects while working with Design Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Product Engineering, and Distribution. The Packaging Engineer will be responsible for developing packing requirements while ensuring the most efficient, cost effective and safest delivery of quality parts.
Essential Functions (Job Duties and Responsibilities):
- Work closely with Manufacturing and Distribution to ensure packaging designs are optimized and exceed customer expectations
- Apply continuous improvement methods to enhance quality, reliability, and safety in all packaging initiatives
- Identify and implement cost savings initiatives related to packaging materials, labor, efficiency, transportation, and storage
- Active interface with freight and logistics providers, including 3PLs, for truck utilization planning and cost savings initiatives
- Participate in packaging design and development planning, including specification development and Product Lifecycle Management (PLM)
- Assist investigation and analysis of manufacturing problems to determine root causes and implement corrective actions
- Assist in creating, implementing, and monitoring key performance indicators and metrics
- Work closely with Sourcing and external packaging materials suppliers on all packaging initiatives including material forecasting
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) in Packaging Engineering or related field
- Minimum 2 years of experience in the manufacturing industry
- Experience with heavy or large steel equipment preferred
- Experience with Solidworks, CAD, or TOPS software preferred
- General understanding of safety requirements necessary in the manufacturing, distribution, and transportation (freight and logistics) processes
- Knowledge of project management
- Knowledge of mechanical drawings, welding symbols, material properties and equipment for metal manufacturing
- Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science/technology including principle application of techniques, procedures, and equipment related to the design and production of manufactured parts
- Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and standards involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods
- Understand privacy rules and following protocol
- Must be able to effectively prioritize but manage multiple projects simultaneously
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position, Monday through Friday.
This position regularly requires travel to the Corporate office located in Marietta, GA.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment/physical requirements described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Employee will be working in an warehouse/manufacturing environment. Temperature can vary: cold temperatures of 40 degrees, and will be required to wear jacket or warm/hot temperature of 70+ degrees. Noise levels of 90 decibels can be reached at certain times. Can be exposed to fumes or airborne particles while in manufacturing environment.
- Required to stand for extended periods of time, lift heavy objects, and do repetitive tasks with few breaks
- Knowledge and utilization of PPE (i.e., safety glasses, gloves, etc.) is required.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vanderlande is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.